Tuesday, February 15, 2011

taking Granite for granite

so DH has been shopping for granite counter tops for MIL's house...as only granite will do for a kitchen makeover to sell the house for someone else.  oye this still doesn't make any sense.

He called up and set two appointments to have someone give him an estimate for the counter tops.  One was going to be at 2:30 and the other for 4pm.  He went to work for half the day and then after lunch went over to MIL's house for the appointments.  It took him a bit to get there due to traffic...and once he did get there the driveway was nice and high full of snow thanks to the snow plows.

Meanwhile back at the ranch er house, I get a call at about 1:20 telling me that contractor #1 can't make their appointment and will have to reschedule.  I try really hard to get the message to DH, but he had already left work and had his work cell phone turned off (he doesn't carry his own cell).

DH gets the snow shoveled in time for the Realtor he's been working with to show up and they go in the house to get ready for the first contractor to show up.  They wait and wait and he's a no show.  So the Realtor who recommended this granite place calls them up...the guy is no longer with the company!  But they can send someone else out at 5.  So that's arranged and the Realtor & DH go over some paperwork.  The Realtor also went back to her office for a few things but was back by 4pm...the second contractor was no there.

He didn't show up until about 5pm!  So DH & the Realtor are with contractor #2 when...

Back at the ranch er house again, I get a call from contractor #1 (only I didn't realize that it was #1, I assumed it was #2 since #1 canceled)...only he tells me that he's outside the house and sees that there is another contractor there.  I'm confused but tell him that DH did schedule a few contractors to come out so he could get a few bids.  I tell him to go ahead and knock on the door since I don't have any way of contacting DH.  The contractor doesn't want to do that...so he'll just wait outside.

DH ends up with two bids.  For some odd reason even though DH gave everyone his work number, they insisted on calling here at the house after to send the bids and confirm that we got them.  You can have granite done at the normal thickness or now they have a granite overlay that you can get that costs less.  The one bid came in quite a bit less than the other one for thicker granite.  ???  confused?  so are we!  We decided to go with the thicker/cheaper granite.  However, I keep getting calls from the other guys (DH promises that he'll call them tomorrow and let them know they didn't get the job.)

We're hoping that these folks do a great job and that perhaps we'll use them again for our kitchen (although I still don't know that I want granite...I've never wanted it before!)

1 comment:

  1. Don't ya just love being in the middle? I sometimes wonder if sales reps don't target the wives because they think it will help make a sale. Interesting about the bid difference. May show what kind of markup these folks get. I've definitely decided against granite!

    ReplyDelete