Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Office Window - Progress so far

Since my last window post I ordered the panel system and purchased the curtain rod for what I'm planning.

The panel system was not supposed to arrive until March 12th.  So I was pretty shocked when it got here on March 6th.  That meant it was time to get busy!

First I had to take down the old curtains and fit them to the window...before they were rather sloppily hanging over both the slider and the arch window.  So I took the curtains down to the basement (where I have enough floor space to spread them out) and got them measured for cutting to fit.  When I did this, I realized that I might have enough fabric to make a curtain for the arched window too.  And although it took a bit of rigging, I was able to do that.  I found some trim in the garage from my father in law's stash to make a curtain rod out of.  (the "rod" is just the trim shoved into the window frame.)

Here's the new arch window curtain.

While I was up on the ladder, I realized how badly the wall needed to be painted.  So I decided to paint an accent wall in here.

Then hubby & I went and bought the 2x2 for the header to screw the panel system into.  We dug through an entire bin of wood to find some that was not too bowed or full of knots.  But that's where things stalled.  The wood sat on the office floor.

Monday hubby was home from work sick.  I thought that perhaps this project would get moving again.  But hubby just wanted to sit and hog my computer all day.  :p  So to annoy him into doing something, I started measuring the wood (it was on the floor behind him).  And that worked.  He took the wood from me and cut it.  Then asked if I wanted to help sand it (only bringing one bit of sand paper though).  So while he sanded, I cleaned up after the dog in the yard.  He also got two coats of paint on the wood.

And now that's where we are.  The wood still sits in the basement "drying" (it's been dry!)  and here are pictures of my window treatments.

Unfortunately it looks as if I won't be able to get this finished until at least Sunday, because hubby won't work on it if I'm not here to pester him and this week is busy for us as my little actress starts rehearsals for Guys & Dolls this weekend.
I hope to have an updated photo of the completed window next week.  Wish me luck!

Saturday, March 08, 2014


First they bought a little farm and had a dream.  Now their story is a book that you can read.  With over 500 copies sold.  w00t!

5 Acres & A Dream The Book:
The Challenges of Establishing A Self-Sufficient Homestead

by Leigh Tate

5 Acres & A Dream The Book: The Challenges of Establishing a Self-Sufficient Homestead
What does it take to become a successful homesteader?

Based on her popular homesteading blog, 5 Acres & A Dream, Leigh Tate shares how she and her husband Dan are facing the challenges of trying to establish a self-sufficient homestead; from defining their dream, finding property, and setting priorities, to obstacles and difficult times, to learning how to work smarter, not harder. She shares what they've learned about energy, water, and food self-sufficiency for themselves and their animals too. Included are copies of their homestead master plan plus revisions and a sampling of Leigh's homestead recipes. 

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

"Instant" Chicken with gravy

I've been planning to make chicken with gravy for a while, I just didn't have the time to slow cook it all day.

So I pulled out my pressure cooker!  I've been storing up bones and vegetable leavings in the freezer for a while with the intent on making broth...and one day that will happen.  Yesterday was not that day.

First I needed some broth.  So I put what I thought were chicken bones (turns out they were big deal really) and carrot, onion & celery in the pressure cooker with water and let that pressure cook for 20 minutes.  all totaled it probably took about 30 minutes as the cooker needed time to heat up.

Then I strained the broth and put it back into the pressure cooker with two frozen chicken breasts.  I added salt & spices here.  Another 30 minutes and I was ready to tear apart the chicken, add flour slurry and tadah I'm done.

all day flavor, about an hour & a half of working & cooking...mostly cooking. 

If only I had remembered to make biscuits for this!