Monday, April 16, 2012

Onions & Chives

I've got onions & chives growing in the garden.  The onions are supposed to be ready when the tops die off and turn brown...here it seems that takes about two years.  :p 

Last night Darly wanted us to have "stir fried" chicken with rice for dinner.  While the technique for this is stir fry, the seasonings are NOT...but she eats it as if it is Chinese food so I'm not going to quibble.  But I decided that I would make some fried rice for myself (hubby & Darly won't eat it) but I needed green onions.

I don't know if you're supposed to do this, or if I might have harmed the onion...but I went to the garden with kitchen sheers and chopped off the green top of one onion (not all of it, just the amount I needed).  While I was there I grabbed a few chive tops as well. 

The chives didn't smell as "oniony" in fact they smelled a bit grassy...so I just chopped them up for drying and we'll see how that goes.

The onion tops smelled right so I chopped them up and tossed them into my fried rice.  Alas they didn't really have the amount of flavor that I'm used to, but there was some flavor there and my fried rice tasted great.

Now to see how the onion fairs with 3 fewer leaves.  There are still a lot of leaves on the onion, so I'm sure it will be fine...in fact, perhaps it's good for the onion?  I don't know.

Seeing that our family doesn't use a lot of onion (unless it is in powder form) I'm not all that concerned.  Although I should figure out how to make onion powder from this...probably need a dehydrator.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! My onions take about two years as well! I don't know about the stalks or stems or leaves or whatever they are, but I did read to cut off the flowers. I've not tried powdering onion (or garlic) but I'd like too. Can't say I've had much better results with chives either.

    ReplyDelete