Monday, April 24, 2006

Monday Memories: Darly's Slumber Party

Did I Tell You About The Time I threw a Slumber Party for Darly's Birthday?

I remember it like it was yesterday...

It was just last Friday! hee hee

I'm going to back up though. We have a Scholastic Book Fair Warehouse near us and as homeschoolers we get to sign up to be on the mailing list for their sales. So Darly & I went to a 50% off warehouse sale. These are really cool. Every book (well every book that they let you have access to, they rope off where you're not allowed to go) is at least 50% off...some even more. I see that another one is coming May 17th! YIPPEE!
Anyway... So Darly & I went to the sale and she gets into the shopping as much as I do because most of the books are for her anyway. And they had this one section where everything you could cram into a box was only $20. And they had all these beading kits, so we are stuffing as many of these $14 kits into the box. There was a little more room and we saw this book on how to throw an Awesome Slumber Party there and crammed it in too.

So Darly has been reading this book on how to throw a Slumber Party for a while now and has been longing to throw her own Slumber Party. Darly hadn't spent the night anywhere but at home, so I told her that in order for her to have a Slumber Party, she would have to be able to spend the night somewhere else first. I didn't want her to have the party and not be able to go stay with her friends in return. Soon after this conversation, Darly got her first invitation to a slumber party and she was excited...now was her chance.

Darly made it with flying colors. She had the best time and was really bummed to leave. PLUS now she could have her own Slumber Party!

As a test run for me, we invited her bestest friend, Elly to stay over. (also we knew that Elly would be moving away before Darly's birthday and this was their chance to have a slumber party.) That went really well...except that when you are used to having one quiet child in your house, adding one more increases the noise level about 1000%!

Darly has been consulting her book and making lists of everything that she wanted to do for her party. I played by the K.I.S.S. plan (Keep it Simple Stupid)! I asked my most trusted advisors on what time I should invite the party over (thank you!) and sent out the invitations using Evite

I tried to talk Darly into a small party as she tends to get overwhelmed by a large noisy crowd, but she felt she HAD to invite all of these friends. So we had 5 girls come over.

The girls begain arriving and Darly showed them where to play until everyone was here. I bought "take & bake" pizzas for dinner, we had made cupcakes to decorate and ice cream for make your own sundaes. And except for some of the girls dropping pizza sauce on my table cloth, all of that went fairly well.

After all the food and playing the plan was for everyone to get ready for bed and hunker down to watch a movie. Well no one seemed interested in the first movie (well no one but me!) so we switched to Madagaskar. Not exactally the movie for dozing off to sleep with, but anyway.

One parent called to check up on her girl.

The girls all were ready to konk out by 11pm and we had intended to allow the dog to join the party too...but she kept whining. She might have been cold as she had just got a haircut that morning. So I put her in her bedroom/my laundry room. She whined some more because the girls kept talking, but soon everyone was asleep...including me. I woke up at about 12:30 to find everyone sleeping and krept upstairs to bed.

I woke up at 6:30 and took my shower. Came down and started making my coffee, which caused the dog to wake up whining. So I got her and brought her into the kitchen but she refused to keep quiet and the girls began to wake up. One couldn't remember to whisper since others were still sleeping (in fact I don't think this kid's volume control works at all as I was constantly asking her to use an inside voice!) So DH was up soon as well as all the other girls...except one. She won the award for "Sleeping Through ANYTHING!"

I began to make pancakes for breakfast. The girls could choose between plain, chocolate chip or strawberry pancakes. Only one girl didn't want pancakes so she had poptarts instead.

Soon after parents began to arrive to claim their girls. And too soon for Darly they were all gone. She was all bummed and wanted the party to keep on going.

Darly give DH & I a pretty rough time for the rest of Saturday. She was not at all happy that we wanted to do yardwork and not play with her. And her sour mood caused DH to get cranky too. I think I deserve an appology from both of them! But since I did get my flower garden sprinklers repaired, I'll let it go for DH.

My lovely commenters & other MM's:
Norma
Katherine
Jen
twiga92
libragirl
lisa
chic mommy
barbra
surrender dorothy
better safe than sorry
purple kangaroo
mom's secret life
maura
laura

I did all that without my coffee zzzzzz

12 comments:

  1. Books can certain start things, can't they. It seems to me that when I was a kid, although overnites at friends' homes were common, slumber parties didn't begin until high school.

    My MM is up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's some weekend! I'm glad everything went well at the party and all the girls got along. I sometimes think it's hard for girls to enjoy more than one friend at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like it went really well! Woo hoo!

    Thanks for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it went well. I remember having slumber parties. Sigh! Where does the time go?

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey that is AWESOME! It sounds like it went really well. I would absolutely love to be near that warehouse - what a bargain! I just got 4 flyers yesterday from the girls - "New book orders!" Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww that sounded like alot of fun! My sister and my cousins have our own "grown-up" slumber parties now when we visit each other. After we tuck the kids into bed, we stay up till 3 am doing facials, our nails, and talking, while the husbands either sleep or have their own guys night in the basement. You never really grow out of the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like things went pretty well. Everyone had a nice time, the girls actually got some sleep. When's the next one?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really glad they all had a good time. Even if you had to follow it with the "approaching pre-teen" pout when they all went home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:20 PM

    it sounds like a wonderful night, glad it all worked out. the most i've ever had for a slumber party is 8, as long as the girls all get along, it doesn't really make too much of a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fun party. I need to find one of those Scholastic sales--that sounds great!

    My MM is up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome score on the craft books! It sounds like a really super party. What a mom you are! I had to do slumber parties for my sister (14 years my junior) when I was a young person and I don't think I can stand to do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. waht a great party! Thanks for sharing how it worked out.
    Enjoy the garden!

    ReplyDelete