Monday, January 09, 2012

Failure to communicate...

I'm not a fan of cell phones.  I find cell phone users to be rude, annoying and I really hate when they almost kill me with their very poor driving skills while talking on their phones.  I hate that now days you can't go through your life without owning one of the blasted devices. 

So I do own one, but I hardly ever use it. 
I had to turn texting off because I had some silly teenager who had the wrong number texting me constantly...and even though I never read her texts I was still getting charged. 
I had to set up a system for my ring tones so that the phone rings one way for people I actually want to talk to and another way for folks I don't know, because even though my phone is on the Do Not Call list, it still receives SEVERAL phone calls from folks who want to sell me something...usually to refinance my mortgage.
My car has bluetooth in it, but I shut that off because every time I got a call on my cell phone the bluetooth would kick in and scare the carp out of me and Darly.  Then we would have to figure out how to either answer or reject the call all the while trying to NOT get into an accident.  I figured that it was much better for me and everyone else on the roads if I not try to take a call while driving.  There was also some system check feature where the car would call to somewhere (I have no idea where) to give them a report on how it was doing.  I shut that off too, because it loved to do it while I was on the interstate.  ummm SO NOT helpful!
I don't have the voice mail set up on the cell phone because I don't want to have to pay to hear my messages (yeah, I'm that cheap!)  So folks I actually want to hear from can call my house and leave a message there...or better yet email me...you can do that from your phone too. :p


And that leads me to today's rant.  Emailing from your phone.  It seems that just about everyone I know uses their cell phone to check and respond to their email.  Today I sent an email (from my computer) asking a very important two part question.  "Do I do this, or that?"  The return answer from her cell phone was "YES"... so I wrote her back that I didn't understand her response because I asked a two part question.  I just got notification that she returned my email with a proper answer.  Sigh!

So if you ever wonder why you don't have my cell phone number...read above.  And if you do have my cell phone number you have been given the rules for it's proper usage...please don't make me reject your call. ;)


4 comments:

  1. LOL. Oh Renee, you sound just like me when it comes to those things. I have one too, but just to have a phone in case of an emergency while I'm out. You know, if you can get the phone number of the businesses that call you in spite of your do not call, you can report them at the do not call website. Works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I report them all the time. I look them up online to see who they are too and what they want since I don't answer them. However, most of what I get are folks using a false number on the caller ID to get through (truly a scam) and those our wonderful system can't catch or stop as they just change numbers.
    What I loathed was getting text spam that said to get off their list I had to contact them! Yeah right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often wonder how much fun Seinfeld would've had with cell phones had they been so common then.

    And I think it's complete crap that you have to pay for texts you don't read/from people you don't know.

    Speaking of cheap, I'm currently trying to figure out if it's worth it to drive 9.5 miles to save 10 cents/gallon on gas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see Seinfeld on cell phones. I just can't imagine Kramer with one.

      I was pretty shocked to learn that I was paying for all of them...which is why I turned it off my phone. I wasn't texting anyone.

      and I would try to work it out so the gas station is on your way because saving 10 cents/gallon is a good deal.

      Delete