Monday, October 17, 2005

Okay Jen, here's how the "boob festival" went...

LOL! That title ought to get a bunch of looks, huh? ;o)

Well Thursday I drove over to the hotel to get set up. I arrived there right around 2pm (okay, I was 5 min early as normal) . 2pm was when we had agreed to be there. I had dragged the 7 45lb boxes of books up to the second floor where we were supposed to set up. I broke DH's hand cart/dolly because I was stubborn and instead of putting only 2 boxes on it at a time, I put all 7. I now owe DH new castors for the front of it...no big deal. He wasn't even all that upset with me...at least I don't think so (he never really says).

So the person in charge shows up at around 2:30pm, meanwhile we are standing around waiting.

Once she shows up we get checked into our room and then start getting things set up. It was a lot of lugging things around. Lots of boxes of supplies. I think that I ended up putting a lot of signs up. Thursday is kind of a blur now. I know that I didn't get to bed until after 12am and had to get up again at 5:30am... but I woke up at 5am thanks to my bladder.

Friday I had to run to the office supply store and the copy place. They were so happy that I didn't really have a set job and I could sign the checks to pay for everything. I was perfect for getting things and they took full advantage of it. I also learned how to register folks. We did a ton of directing traffic...oh and looking for food. For lunch I got to see a really great speaker who had some neat tricks for helping moms. (and today I even used one of those for a mom...sure wish that I had the outline for that talk.)

Saturday I did more running to get supplies. (why they didn't get all the copying done before I don't know.) I took some pictures for one of the speakers (getting to meet them) and I also drove the speaker from Friday's lunch to the airport. The speaker was really nice and fun to talk to. She was all excited that she had done her last engagement with our headline speaker. Our headline speaker was fantastic and he even stayed to see the other speakers (usually unheard of!) I had to eat my lunch in a hurry and miss the speaker's talk so I could drive to the airport...but the person I was taking wanted to finish her lunch and speak to someone. I didn't have to inhale my lunch afterall. I don't know if she made it in time for her plane or not.

Sunday I woke up to more copies to be made before 9am and had to get change for the book store. No one had thought before that we would need change and it was SUNDAY. Luckily the King Soopers gave us change. THANK YOU KING SOOPERS, I'm so glad that you're my store! They were also able to do my copies...as the copy place didn't open until 10am.

I missed most of the sessions that I had signed up for although I did make it to two of them, both totally worth it. I sure wish that I had made it to the first one on Sunday AM, but that's when I was getting copies and more office supplies. I didn't get any of my Saturday sessions, but those weren't as important to me.

We finally got out of the hotel at around 6pm and I drove threw Bronco's traffic to meet the family for dinner at Sweet Tomatoes.
I should have gone to bed hours ago. I'm hoping that I'm just tired.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! After all that work you didn't even get to go to a lot of your sessions! Yikes!

    That's cool that you got to talk one on one with the speaker :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is a "Boob festival"? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Julie... I'm a La Leche League Leader (I help mothers to breastfeed by providing information and support.) I am also the Area Financial Coordinator for LLL of CO/WY (that means I take care of all the money & taxes for all the groups in these two states.)
    Every two years we hold a conference (aka boob festival per Jen) where we have information for Health Care providers and parents about the technical side of breastfeeding and lots of parenting topics. This year we had Dr Harvey Karp (Happiest Baby on the Block) and Dr Elizabeth Pantley (No-cry Sleep Solution) for the parenting and Dr. Peter Hartman & Linda Pool for the technical stuff. I didn't get to meet Dr Pantley, but I was about 2 feet away from her at one point. And I drove Linda Pool to the airport.

    ReplyDelete