Monday, February 13, 2006

Monday Memories: weird trip to the State Fair

Monday Memories: Did I ever tell you about my weird trip to the State Fair?


Okay, this was a very very long time ago (I think that I was 13 or 14) so the memory is very fuzzy...but I think I've got enough of it for you.

One of my brothers (pretty sure it was the middle one) had a friend who's family was Mormon. I was young enough at the time to think I heard them say they were Morons... my appologies to any Mormons out there...remember I was just a kid.

So Rob (he would have been 9 or 10)comes home one day and asks us if we want to go to the fair with his friend's family. Since we had no idea if our father would be able to take us, we said sure. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into.

So we go to his friend's house. They have very big family with kids aging from high school to infant. Once we got there, I realized that I knew one of their kids, but she was 2 years older than me. They had added a new wing to the back of the house to have rooms for the expanding family... the bathroom that they put in was a shower that happened to include a tolite & sink. I guess the idea was that multiple kids could shower at the same time. The kids bedrooms each had at least two sets of bunk beds. But I'm digressing here... on to the fair.

So we all load up into their huge vehicle to go to the fair. We get to the fair and are all directed to follow to the Draggon Ear concession stand. It was there that we learned what we had been brought there to do. Inside the stand were multiple tables with many people pressing out the draggon ears. (BTW: Draggon Ears are a lot like Elephant ears [flat fried pastries] only Draggon Ears are all hand pressed.) So some people were mixing up the dough, some were measuring it out, many racks of dough rising, and then trays are brough to the kids at the tables to get pressed out into circles, then the dough is brought to the friers to cook, then the fried dough is covered in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar and sold.

So we washed our hands, sat down and started pressing out the draggon ears. The stand also sold soft drinks and we could have all we wanted of the draggon ears & drinks. Since I was older, I was also allowed to man the fryer, or measure out the dough. I remember making my own special draggon ear that was smaller than normal...I measured the dough, pressed it out, and fried it myself.

I don't quite remember how long we had to work, but we were allowed to take breaks and go enjoy the fair. This is where it gets really fuzzy, because I don't remember if any adults went with us when we were out doing the fair stuff. I do remember visiting the exhibition hall and trying my first Orange Julious (is that how it is spelled?) I also remember that we didn't have any money so we didn't get to do any rides, but that was okay as most of the were really scarry.

That's all I remember of the trip to the fair...

But I also remember that this same family took us to a elect Ronald Reagan rally and had us help put Ronald Reagan fliers on cars... (my father is a democrat.)

They were a really nice family and I don't remember them talking to us at all about their religion... but we were always welcome to their house.

We ended up getting to go to the fair with our father and his girlfriend's family as well so we were exicted to have two trips to the fair. I'm pretty sure that dad lied about how old I was so he didn't have to pay as much to get us in.


Links to other Monday Memories
running2ks
jen
the Intuitive Woman
craziequeen
kimmy
barbara
better safe than sorry
veronika

(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below)

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite a memory--and an eye-opener in another family lifestyle to boot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty wild! Do you know whatever happened to this family?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could anyone take a child to a fair and make them work?! I just don't understand it! lol! I am glad you got to enjoy it though, and the second trip to boot! Nice story. And thanks for the comments on my site too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fair MM - seems to be a trend at the moment :-)

    My MM is up

    cq

    ReplyDelete
  5. All you can eat Dragon Ears and all you can drink sodas...yummy! Did you get a belly ache?
    What did your dad think about it all? Hmmm....
    My 3rd memory is up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting story Renee. You have a good memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:56 PM

    we don't have those type of state fairs here, we've got seasonal theme parks, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. r2k: yeah, but I was too young to appreciate it.

    jen: nah, pretty soon after that my Mom came and got us so we moved to FL.

    intuitive: where are the child labor police???

    crazieq: well r2k's did remind me of it.

    kimmy: it was yummy, I don't remember a tummy ache and dad wasn't all that attentive.

    Barbara: thanks for the compliment!

    bsts: this is the first state that I've lived in where there wasn't a state fair nearby...here they hold it in Pueblo...go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great memory. When I had friends over, my dad tried to preach to them!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for stopping by. What you said was very sweet! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey sweetie...I'm guess what? Yep, a Mormon. Any questions you want to ask? BTW, you are always welcome at my house, too! We only have the 2 kids though. I did know a family with 21 kids, all single births.

    I think that was probably a youth fundraiser. Back then the budgets for the youth were earned through service projects. You got to go to the fair on breaks and were paid in free stuff. The youth were able to go to summer camp or Youth Conference or host dances with other congregations all over (80's pop starts swarming head). I worked a sale barn cafeteria during cattle sales and mowed lawns for our activities budget. Now it is all streamlined and alotted as part of the budget which is centralized in Salt Lake City. There is no paid clergy in our churches, so everything goes to the programs, maintenence of church buildings and holdings, a huge chunk goes to humanitarian aid, mission funds ect.

    You brought back some great memories for me. I think I'll join you next week.

    ReplyDelete