Friday, February 24, 2006

Good day with some bad news...

We knew we were going to have a busy day today... but being the uber-multi-tasking mom that I am I decided to throw in some more to the mix.

So we had to be at Presentation Club at 10AM. After much consideration, I decide that before we head to that, we should try to deliver some Girl Scout cookies over at Church... so we head over there first.

We get to Church and deliver one box and then head to the office and get the Bad News. A family that we don't know all that well (I can tell you who they are, but haven't actually met them yet) lost their baby boy today. James was not even a year old and I don't know what he died from.

So after that we head over to Presentation Club. There are a lot of kids 15 presented. The kids just got up and presented anything that they wanted. Darly read a short story that she wrote a while back. Then the kids voted on what to do next month. Darly was bummed that Animals wasn't chosen because she wanted to do dogs...they chose Cultural. So I said that we could do a thing where she told where different breeds of dogs come from. Tah Dah! It's a cultural dog thing. So now I've got to find a large world map to attach pictures of dogs to it.

Then we sold some more Girl Scout cookies...this one mom the longer I was near her, the more she bought.

After lunch we went to the park to meet up with some of the Homeschooling Group moms and I got to "play" while Darly played with her friends.

Then this evening we had a totally awesome field trip. We went to the Plains Conservation Center for the LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE NIGHT OUT. We've gone there a few times before, but never for this program and never at night either. So we get there early and wait at the Museum. They have some local snakes (in tanks) on display. The rattlesnake was suprisingly calm...I guess he's used to kids in his face by now.
After we were all there, we got the brief of what we were doing and all the rules.
Then we were allowed to take a handwarmer (aka Hot baked potato) that we could eat if we liked and head over to the sod house.
There we split into two small groups and our group headed to the school house. Where Mrs. Mouger was teaching school. From our previous visits we knew that we could be in trouble for attending school in our "pantaloons" so Darly & I made sure to wear skirts. Mrs. Mouger appreciated our thoughtfulness. She also went over the school rules such as "Children are to be seen and not heard." So the kids had to make sure that they asked permission (raised their hand) before speaking. One poor girl slipped up on that...oops!
Mrs. Mouger talked to us about life in Laura Ingals Wilder's days on the prairie. Darly & I had gone over quite a bit of The Long Winter book today so Darly knew quite a bit and did very well with raising her hand and answering questions.

I kinda think that Darly would do quite well in this kind of school versus a classroom of today. The fact that the kids had to be quiet and well behaved made Darly more at ease (she doesn't like loud noisy kids).

After school we got to go to the sod house and help bake some cookies. The kids got to check out the house and play some games while the cookies baked and then we got hot chocolate too. The one presenter got a little perturbed when she asked a question and two kids interupted her with non-related stuff instead of answering her...can't say that I blame her. After the cookies were done we cleaned up and helped bring in some fire wood. The trip ended with a "waggon ride" back to the Museum.

I made the mistake of mentioning that our Girl Scout troop had cleaned the sod house for them and they were quick to mention that the school house really could use a cleaning if we wanted another service project.

While looking up the website for this post, I noticed that this event was a one time deal and that our Troop was the only one that took advantage of it. That's a shame. They really missed out. I hope that they do it again...I'll be back.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds really cool. I'm glad you were able to participate. I'm not quite sure I'd like to eat my handwarmer without butter and sour cream :P

    I'm sorry about the family who lost their baby. I can't imagine the pain they are enduring. I will pray for them. Thank you for mentioning it.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so sad that we had to miss it, but the kids were a MESS that night. It sounds like it was really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:27 PM

    i was a girl guide leader for years and we always had our girls involved in community activities, such a wonderful cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds as if you had a very busy day!
    Glad you sold lots of cookies.
    So sad to hear of the death of a toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, girlie - where are you? Are you still catching up from your busy day? We at the Thursday 13 miss you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete