Saturday, May 06, 2006

How do you raise a Bookworm?

I've been pondering... what was it that I did or didn't do that made Darly love to read so much. I'm not sure.

Here's what I do know...

DH & I both love to read. If we've got free time (or sometimes we make the time) we are reading.

When Darly was little, we both read to her all the time.

When Darly was older, I took her to the Library for story time every week and we would check out books about anything she wanted to hear about. I would say "what do you want to hear about?" and we would search the computer to see what kinds of books they had on that topic and check out 10 or 20.

When Darly was even bigger, she would "read with us" or look at the words while we read the story.

Darly had those foam puzzle alphabet blocks. At first we learned the letters from them, then we learned the sounds from them.

Then I tried the book "TEACH YOUR CHILD TO READ IN 100 EASY LESSONS", but when I was buying it the website suggested that we also try "BOB BOOKS FIRST!" When Darly got ahold of those books she could care less about learning lessons. She could read these and away we went. She read all of those. And then I found "Now I'm Reading"

And now after reading all the Easy Reader books at our library, she has read the "Junie B. Jones"; "Geronimo Stilton" and now the "American Girl Collection"

I think the real question is how to get her to stop reading...but I'm not asking!

3 comments:

  1. there is no greater gift you could have given Darly. None. I am fortunate that all 3 of my kids willingly and lovingly read, check out books, and research new topics. You are a splendid mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that most people would be bookworms, if the school system didn't drive the desire out of them. Good for you for fostering her desire to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gift reading is.

    ReplyDelete