Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Thursday 13: Its time to Garden


Thirteen Things about my garden!


Let's just hope that I have 13 things to say about my garden...I'll take some pictures tomorrow for you...but there isn't much to see yet.

1) The weather has been just awesome lately (today we turned on the AC for the first time) and I've been itching to get my garden planted because I long for my own fresh produce.

2) It is probably very silly that I even plant a vegetable garden each year because I am the only one (besides Trina, Trudy & Lilly* see their interview below) who even eats the vegetables.

3) but I share the extras with all my friends and they all really appreciate them. I once brought cherry tomatoes (didn't plant those this year) to park day and my friends were eating them like grapes. Personally I can't handle popping cherry tomatoes this way...I've gotta cut them in half cuz I can't do the squirting. Blech.

4) I hardly ever have to take any of my veggies home with me when I bring them to share. Although when I bring MIL squash she prefers the tiny ones and they tend to get very big on my plants very fast. One day they are like 4 inches and the next they've grown to 12.

5) So I first turned the soil in the garden at around the beginning of the month. I was just too excited. I knew that planting too early in Colorado will get you frozen plants, but I had to turn the soil.

6) MIL's neighbor orders 2 yards of dirt for her yard each year, because the smallest amount the landscape supply will deliver is 2 yards. Her daughter's husband was supposed to take part of the dirt for his house. He NEVER came to get the dirt (this man is a jerk who takes advantage of his MIL.) So Miss B offered the extra dirt to MIL & us. We offer to pay, she refuses, we take the dirt. So we carried dirt home in 5 gallon buckets, old tree pots, flower pots & old fertilizer bags. We did 3 trips.

7) My garden looks very happy with the new dirt mixed in with the old. We also mixed in a good portion of compost from our compost heap. Last year's garden didn't get the compost because the pumpkin seeds that I tossed on it from our Halloween pumpkins started growing...we got lots of pumpkins last year. :D

8) So we mixed all the new dirt and the compost and turned the soil again. It's very soft in the garden from all the turning. The carrots should love it.

9) I planted pumpkins, bell pepers, green beans, spinach, about 5 different squash varieties, tomatoes, carrots, radish & parsley. The parsley is an attempt to bring back the swallow tail butterflies. We had two catapillars on it two years ago, but I think the birds might have gotten them.

10) Oh, I have strawberry plants that have been in the garden since we first moved in. They do very well, but I had to get a snake last year to keep the grasshoppers & mice out. Luckily I found a bull snake in the yard (well actually, Lilly found the snake...I just carried him over.) The snake wasn't too happy about the move at first, but I found him a few days later sunning himself on the strawberries.

11) Lilly decided last year that she likes homegrown carrots, fresh from the garden...she started digging them up herself. So now the garden has a fence to keep her out.

12) Last year I went out to my garden to watch a momma robin showing her babies my strawberry plants. They get covered with netting now... and since robins were eyeballing my flower garden in the front after I planted, I decided some netting insurance over the entire garden might be a good idea.

13) Unfortunately, I couldn't get the netting all the way up to the back fence so there is a gap, but I don't know if the birds will try to get in. I guess it depends on how determined they are. Hopefully if I keep it wet enough they won't bother and the seeds will germinate quickly and I can remove the net to just the strawberries.

Now I've got to figure out how to get the ants off my fruit (apples & cherries too) without making them poisonous to humans. Any ideas?





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



19 comments:

  1. I love gardens....and oh...speaking of gardens, you can't BEAT Rocky Ford cantaloupe! YUMMMY

    Come see if you can guess my T-13 word puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to plant a garden every year -- but we only got to eat about a third of it -- IF that! The deer and the squirrels got most of it! LOL! Oh, and the bunnies....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could plant anything. I'm not so good at keeping plants alive. Even plastic ones. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I can identify with you about gardening. I don't plant many veggies...mostly flowers, but I totally get what you're saying!

    ...my list is up:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could garden. I have a brown thumb. /sigh.. and a big dog. LOL

    Thanks for visiting my TT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had a green thumb. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I didn't know you had a snake in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started a garden, my first, a couple years ago...it amazed me that I could grow anything!

    My cousin and her husband used to have an apple orchard...they may be able to answer your question. She's at www.dackelprincess.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to get to work on my garden soon... My TT is up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DH & I want so badly to start gardening but we have no idea where to start. This just intensifies my desires. GREAT List!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're going to try to get our garden planted next week. It's going in late but I have high hopes ;~)

    Enjoy your garden and thanks for dropping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I admire those who garden, I wasn't born with a green thumb for sure. My mom loves to though and she is planning a big one this year with corn, squash, etc. My list is up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love gardening....it is so relaxing, thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could grow a garden, but I have a black thumb. Maybe I'll attempt one at our next place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recommend spraying tomatoes with a soap solution... not sure whether that's done for other fruits or vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with your garden! Thanks for visiting me yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous4:15 PM

    i didn't do any veggies this year, we've been having such a terrible spring, frost last week, so anything that would have been planted would have been lost.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So how did you move that snake over to your garden, with your bare hands? How lucky to get all that dirt for free.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I miss having a garden... so I'm a little jealous about your garden. :) Happy Gardenint!!

    ReplyDelete