Saturday, May 27, 2006

off to get a new mattress today...

DH and I have been complaining about our mattress for a long time. Not that it's uncomfortable...but that it has two dents in it. I guess my neck isn't too happy with it because I do wake up crunchy.

The current mattress is a Sealy and was bought about 8 years ago (when Darly started hogging all the room in our bed!) But now it has two distinct dents and its time for an upgrade.

So we are considering all of our options in the mattress market. Luckily we have quite a few places that carry multiple types so we can test drive a few without too much driving all over the place. I've also done some internet research and checked out consumer reviews.

I know a few to avoid, but I still have to test drive a few of the more expensive types to see if we think they are worth it.

DH is now saying that he doesn't think that he'll be able to tell the difference. And since I have the back that is in worse shape we'll deffer to me anyway.

I would like to go right now...but as you can tell (I'm blogging...not shopping) DH feels that we should wait until after lunch. "Are you ready for lunch at 10:30 dear?" hee hee

Update: We are back and we have a new mattress. It was delivered today in fact! *happy dance!*
First we went to Mattress King and checked out their selection. I have to say that the one we really liked the best there was the Thermapedic. But I was bothered by how difficult it is to turn on that mattress. People always say that you don't toss and turn on them, but I wonder if that is because you can't.

Dh liked the Beauty Rest and I liked a Sealy, but I wasn't thrilled with either. So we then went to the Mattress Firm. They carried many of the same brands, but different models. They also had 3 different brands of the Therma-Foam beds. Darly spent a lot of time on those...she really wants one. We suggested that she get a job to afford one as they are about 3 times as much as a regular mattress...depending on the brand.

At the Mattress Firm I really only liked the Sealy and only the Sealy that they use to judge how firm you like your bed. The rest were just not right. I felt so much like Goldielocks...this one is too hard, this one is too soft. DH liked a Sealy, but he liked the cheap one that was on clearance. That sucker was as hard as a brick! There was no way that I was buying it. So DH said I could have the one I liked.

So now he's up stairs trying it out. I don't hear any noise, so I'm guessing that I didn't do too bad. I'll update by Tuesday with how it went.

5 comments:

  1. Renee - Did you buy it? Are you going to flip it and turn it like the directions say too? I've never done that.
    You might as well get new bed linens too, and a new comforter. Perhaps a new coat of paint on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby and I got a new mattress last year and we had the same experience...meaning that he didn't care which mattress we bought, and I was the picky one. I have a bad back too so my opinion prevailed. LOL.

    We got a Sealy as well.

    I wondered about those sleep # beds and how they worked. There was a sleep# bed in the mall by my house, but we never went in...we assumed it was too expensive.

    http://www.danno.org/blogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Monday Memory about beds must have inspired you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that works out for you.

    Next time though, you might try shopping at the Lumbar Yard, or Good Vertibrations.

    Also, I hear swimming in the Hudson River is good for your back. If you're ever up that way ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could fall asleep on the hard cold floor of the garage if there wasn't a car there. Come to think of it, I could sleep on the roof of the car, but I'd worry about falling off!

    ReplyDelete