Tuesday, May 30, 2006

more bed talk

Uisce said...
I could fall asleep on the hard cold floor of the garage if there wasn't a car there. Come to think of it, I could sleep on the roof of the car, but I'd worry about falling off!

12:07 PM

Okay, Uisce's comment on my mattress post got me thinking of our time in S. Korea. While we were there we frequently went shopping in the Korean stores. Sometimes these could be quite an adventure, but usually the shops had been recommended by other families who had already checked them out and the shop keepers were excited to try to sell to us.

So there was this one "Department store" that we would go to. I've forgotten the name of it. But it had some pretty good stuff. We still have some of the items we bought there. I should talk Darly out of some of the toys. Anyway...

The Department store was actually kinda like a flea market in that each section was owned by a different person. I guess they just leased space in the building. And the floor that we liked the most had a furniture store on it. And of course the furniture store sold beds. They carried what we would consider a traditional boxspring & mattress type of bed...but...

They also carried a bed that was a slab of marble. There was a really nice bed stand with a headboard and then the slab of marble. I have no idea how people slept on these and I have no idea how they moved them or what one costs either. I do know that Korean appartments are very small and that one would have to be quite rich to afford one of these as all the furniture was expensive.

It was good for wondering about.

1 comment:

  1. I know I've often said I like sleeping in a hard bed... but I do think a slab of marble is going a little to far!! Wow! Never heard of that kind of bed before.

    ReplyDelete