Friday, September 09, 2005

DH finally called...

We finally heard from DH this evening. He called us using a Morale call so the caller ID showed his work number...kinda weird, but I was pretty sure it was him.

He is doing fine, working very hard. It's very hot and humid down there...I'm sure he's loosing weight (something he doesn't really need to do!)
He just moved into a dorm on the base. It has power, a microwave & a TV but there aren't any working TV stations nearby so it's worthless right now. They just got power back on today (guess that news should have come before the TV part?) Oh, his room doesn't have any carpet because they had to remove that for water damage. But he does have AC, he also had that in the tent. The major improvement is he doesn't have to sleep on a cot anymore...he's got a mattress. (totally forgot to see if he got his supplies...oops!)

His job there has been to build Tent Cities to house all the military personelle staying at the base. They are currently housed in the hangars, and starting tomorrow 550 will get to move into 20 man tents. They will also have latrines, showers, laundry facilities & mess tents.

Some of his guys have been out in the community handing out supplies. I forgot to ask, but I'm guessing that the personelle that are about to get the tents are out in the community helping. Some have been at the docks clearing out debris so that the ports can be re-opened.

They have water service, but none of it is potable.

And that was about it for my update. If you knew my DH that was a ton of info, but for me it all fit onto a 2.5 x 3.5 inch peice of paper. And knowing him, I probably won't hear from him again for at least a week. If it's all the same he doesn't bother updating. Just the way he is.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you heard from him! Thanks for sharing what he said, little though it was ;-) I'm keeping him in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you heard from him too. The morale call was most likely a DSN (military phone system) call, routed through his home base, hence the number. That's how they usually work those things.

    Sounds like he's doing good work, and they're keeping him busy. :)

    ReplyDelete