Thursday, March 16, 2006

cookin' with gas now....

okay, this post has nothing to do with cooking or gas either.

I've finally gotten DSL. Yay! I'm not in the dark ages anymore.

I'm not entirely sure that it's much faster in all places yet. And there are still a few places that it seems to not want to work at all...but maybe that's just the bugs of just having installed it 4 hours ago.

At any rate, it is up and running. I shudda asked about turning my computer off at night. I'm guessing that would mean shutting down the dsl and then restarting it...hummm... I should probably check out the FAQ page before turning in tonight.

I was able to view a video online just a minute ago that teaches how to cast on for knitting. It came up quickly and I could see it without all the stops that I was getting before on dial up...so that's a cool thing.

Maybe it's just blogger that is slowing things down for me. hee hee

Oh well, I hope this doesn't turn me into a computer potato. :o)

UPDATE: Well since I didn't find anything on my server's website that said I shouldn't turn off my computer last night, I did and left the DSL on as the only way to shut if off is to unplug it.
This morning I turned on my computer and guess what? NO DSL!! I tried unplugging it a few times, but it didn't work. So I called up my provider. The lady that I got was really nice and funny. She had me unplug it again and then had me totally unplug it and take it to a different phone jack (in case my phone jack that was working just fine for the phone call to her was bad!) So I ran upstairs and used that jack...nope it didn't work. So they ran a line check, while leaving me on hold forever! I started cleaning my bathroom and got a total shock when she came back on the line.
Turns out there was a problem on their end and she had to send someone out to my neighborhood to replace a card or something...apparently (I'm totally speculating here) my brand new DSL sent the card over the edge.

Well it's now working...YAY! And everything is going fine and fast except for blogger...that's slow. I don't know what's up with that.

7 comments:

  1. Never a potato!!! DSL good, dial up bad. You're gonna have a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! DSL! I'm glad your bro finally hooked you up! (I'm assuming I'm still a slow load!)
    I never shut my DSL off at night. Just during a storm like everything else.
    Here's to cleaning. Isn't that what you said you'd do with your "extra" time? Crazy girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Rene! I was a little worried with the lack of thirteenage this week. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the present age of computing Rene! We turn our computers off every night and leave the DSL box plugged in and, no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you have DSL, I'll be expecting more posts now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you're gonna love it, Renee. One of the best parts of DSL over dial-up for me was no more frequent disconnects.

    I was never told about turning it off or leaving it on overnight. But I leave it plugged up, and it's been fine. Just be sure to have some good anti-virus software. I also use ZoneAlarm's free firewall software.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've got cable modem, which is nice, and an electric cooktop. We don't have gas service in our town, and the DSL is all maxed out. I sure wouldn't mind having both of those! :)

    ReplyDelete