Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Questions about my Memory

I noticed that quite a few of my commenters had some questions about my trip to Korea. So I thought it might make a great post to answer them here for you...

ON WITH THE SHOW!...

Kimmy asked: I never knew you could "check out" furniture and dishes. Like a library. How fun. Well, the furniture might not be so fun. Did you get to pick it out?
Not really, Kimmy. You are allowed so many pieces of furniture based on your family size. So since we were a family of 3 we got one full sized bed and one twin sized bed, a small dining room table with 3 chairs (not 4!), a couch & a side chair & a end table. I don't remember if we got dressers or not, but that would have been one per person. And no you don't pick them out, they just go into the warehouse and pull the items out...no they don't match. And our delivery forman was apparently very pampered as he felt it extra necessary to complain the entire time about having to do his job. For the most part Korean workers don't complain like that, but this guy worked for the base and spent most of his time on his wide backside. We didn't hear a peep out of our packers.

okay this isn't really a question, but I had to comment:Libragirl said...
Ok...that was a stressful read Next time I'm in Seoul (probably a week from never, unless you know a single guy) I will make sure not to travel in rush hour and to make sure the taxi can drive on the base and just everything.
Well, Libragirl, one of the biggest problems with driving in Korea is that they haven't been driving as long as we have in America (and I don't think that they have any kind of driver's education!) and they don't understand the concept of waiting your turn. So they'll go anywhere to try to get where they are going (sidewalks, medians, etc...) and this causes many accidents...which slows up traffic. Usually a AAFES taxi can go on base. But the guy we got was only authorized to go on the base in Seoul, not the base in Osan. The AAFES taxis were trained and employed by the Bases. They were not allowed to drive like normal Korean drivers and if they did we could report them, and they would loose their jobs. If you didn't mind putting your life into the hands of a Korean driver, you could take a Korean taxi to get just to the base gate...it was much cheaper. I never did though!

Barbara said...
Traveling far is so hard, even harder with babies. Did the stint in Osan have a lasting impact on your life?
Actually, I'm still working on putting this behind me. I have a really hard time with letting go of things (always have) but I'm working on focusing on the good. There was a lot to deal with for that tour and it put a huge stress on my marriage that I only just recently started working on repairing. But we are all getting there. Darly doesn't remember too much and I'm suprised when she mentions something from those days.

Okay, anyone else? :D

update: Kimmy asked "was it expensive to rent?"
I'm assuming that you meant rent the furniture & dishes. No the AF provides them free, they also pay the rent on the apartment. If you meant renting the TV, that was a different place on base. I don't remember how much they charged to rent the TVs but it was by the day (no week or monthly rental) and for the amount of time that we needed the TV (3 months) it was cheaper to buy it and keep it.

In case you're wondering where my TT is... I decided to put it off again until next week, because I just remembered that it's April 1st in 9 days and I've got a ton of stuff to get done...so I shouldn't be here blogging at all! I should be working. Bad Renee! Bad Renee, Get back to WORK!

5 comments:

  1. Traveling and moving for the government or any other company is stressful. We saw many marriages crumble overseas where life is totally different than here in the States. Women are used to doing specific things for their families - including driving, shopping, etc. When the routine is uprooted, shaken up and then put down in a new place, it is really hard to recoup!! Unless you have lived it, it is almost impossible to describe or understand...
    Any army brat can tell you...
    LadyBug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for answering my question Renee. It must have been very stressful. I'm glad you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent 16 months in Korea back a long long time ago.

    I was stationed at Camp Humpries south of Osan. I flew missions out of Osan about once a month. So I got to know the library well while I sat there waiting to be scrambled.

    It was a mess then and it still is.

    My father was in the Army and we travelled with him. I am amazed that my Mother was able to cope.

    She was just 20 years old when she had to take two small children from NC to Germany by way of boat out of NY. She had never left her small town of NC prior to that event.

    Thanks for sharing your memory and the follow-up comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that was fun. I love when you do question and answers. And what a lazy mover. It's so hard to do your job... the one YOU picked. (But I for sure wouldn't want to be a mover!)

    Thanks for answering my question. I didn't ask... was it expensive to rent?

    My 13 are up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! That's some serious luggage issues!

    ReplyDelete