Monday, March 13, 2006

Monday Memories: March of Dimes

I got to thinking about this the other day and thought it might be a fun story to share with you. This is about the very first time that I participated in the March of Dimes Walk America.

I was in High School, my Senior year (84-85). I am not exactally sure how I got involved in doing this, but it was decided that a whole group of my friends were going to do the walk together.

Back then the walk was 10 miles long and this one was routed threw some pretty fancy homes in Tampa. The walk started at the University of Tampa's stadium. So we get there "too darned early in the morning" (probably 9am) to go walking threw some pretty fancy neighborhoods. Thinking on my feet, I brought my tape player and some tapes for us to listen to on our way.

So my friends & I were walking along, having a great time talking and listening to our "great tunes." I brought my Berlin "Pleasure Victim" & Missing Persons "Spring Session" tapes. We took a few breaks beneath trees in people's yards and might have stopped at a fast food restraunt to have some lunch too, or at least a shake. I'm sure there was some singing involved too.

Anyway when we finally made it back to the UofT's stadium...there was NOBODY there! No food, no music, no water, the bathrooms were locked up and there was nothing to do. Humph! Some welcome we got for finishing walking 10 miles for charity! I suppose that part of the problem was that it was about 2pm when we finally finished the walk.

I don't remember how we were supposed to be getting home that day, but my ex-boyfriend's mother was there to get him and offered to drive the rest of us back...so all of us pilled into her little 2 door car... I think there were 8 people total in her car that holds like 5. I was in someone's lap. But we all made it home. And it was a fun time.

So fun in fact that I've done Walk America at least 4 times since then. Of course it has never taken me that long to finish it again...but it's never been that fun either. :D

4 comments:

  1. walkamerica rocks!
    March of Dimes rocks!
    My son is one of their ambassodors.
    MODs work throughout the years is one of the many reasons my million dollar ex 1lb baby boy is the miracle man that he is.
    hey, wanna sponsor his team?
    email me!
    :)
    nice memory

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! That's so cool that all of your friends went, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I was on a walk a something in Tampa in the 80s. Seems like we got to a stadium and no one was there.

    Great story.

    My MM is up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the walk about two years ago and it was only 3 miles. We didn't have any place to stop for shakes either.

    I hope you at least got your T-shirt. lol.

    My MM is a day late, but it is up!

    ReplyDelete