Saturday, March 17, 2007

Can you help?

Greetings From The Live Monarch Foundation

Spring is Finally in the air for most of North America... unless it is still snowing outside your window. We have spent this long winter preparing for the return of millions of Monarchs on their migration North. This winter weather has been crazy, with far too many temperature reversals and frosts. Our field agents across America have reported that again milkweed is in very short supply along much of the 3,000 mile annual Monarch migration route from Mexico to Canada.

This year more than any in recent memory will be a challenge for the migrating Monarchs as their only food plant Milkweed, will not be growing or mature by the time they need to lay their eggs and continue their journey. It is critical that all who can help grow milkweed start as soon as possible and get your friends and neighbors involved too.

Please visit our newly improved site for your Free seeds and to sign up for our partner program that pays you to help us spread the word about helping Nature and the Monarchs. You can choose to keep 10% for your efforts or extend a 10% discount to anyone you choose. This program has been designed as a fast, free, simple tool for teachers and enthusiasts to raise needed funds for their ongoing educational programs.

Thank you for your assistance;
LMF Staff
www.liveMonarch.com

Check our site navigation links for new pages and new products that you may have never seen. Our Milkweed plants are perfect get yours before we run out.

This email is a free service from The Live monarch Foundation.Please help us reach others whom may benefit from our onlineeducational materials. Please assist us to create naturalrefuges for the Monarch Butterfly and other animals that have lost natural habitats. Spread the word and visit our site for Free Garden Seeds, living Milkweed Plants and all the life stages of the Monarch Butterfly.

One Seed Can Change The World...We Need You To Plant It.

Update: Carmen mentioned watching the metamorphosis. One of the wonderful Librarians at our local branch found two monarch catapillars and brought them into the library. I got to watch when one "went into" it's crysalis... that was kinda freaky. We missed when they came back out though. But we have bought the Painted Lady catapillars and done the entire cycle twice...so we got to see eggs - butterfly. BTW: painted lady catapillars are small enough to crawl through the mesh on those butterfly gardens and will crawl off everywhere in your house.

9 comments:

  1. When we moved into our area almost 8 years ago, there were plans to build a park up the street. At the time, there was a big controversy because there was "milkweed" growing on the land. Eventually agreements were reached and the park was built with an area of milkweed left intact. I couldn't for the life of me understand what was so important about milkweed...now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I don't have any land to plant things in :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Renee - I was going to plant some milkweed anyways. I'll go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure about milkweed. There is some in the nearby town. I'll look into it. I might be able to put some down by the creek. I just don't want it to take over...

    I'll let you know what happens.

    I wanna see Darly's glasses! LLB and Mr and I all wear glasses. We have rimless. Expensive, but light!!
    xo
    LBC

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom is a retired teacher, and we used to go out and find the Monarch larvae and watch them turn into butterflies. I love those Monarchs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not really a butterfly guy but I may check out that site if I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's fantastic. I'm going to use this as my World of Good this week. I'll be sure to throw you a link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renee,

    I did a World of Good post today all about Live Monarch and then I went and bought 10 milkweeds! Thanks! I link to you in the post, too.

    Here it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we got snow yesterday, 6 inches and it stuck. just in time for spring break skiing, so I guess God like college kids

    ReplyDelete