Thursday, March 15, 2007

Eye eye!

Yesterday I finally broke down and called our health insurance company to see what kind of vision coverage we have. I wasn't entirely sure our plan even covered vision anymore because they used to send us a separate card and now they don't. So I was quite pleased to see that they do still cover vision...but they do not cover the glasses. figures!

So after that I found that the eye doctors that are within 5 miles of me are all at the same practice, but if I want to go farther I can go to a bunch more. But the appointment was for Darly...so I let her decide. I looked up the website for the office that is closest to us and she liked the picture of the doctors there...so that's where I called.

We had an appointment this morning at 10:30am...kinda early for Darly, but I didn't let the doctor's office know that.

Last night at dinner, DH gave Darly a pep-talk and let her know everything that would happen. I really couldn't do that for her as I still have 20/20 vision.

We got to the doctor's office a bit early because I had a few questions and we looked at their frames...oh my gosh! They were so expensive!!!

The exam went really well. Darly did very well...she remembered all her dad's instructions.

I saw the machine they use for testing for glacoma and I almost said something about it to Darly but I decided not to. Good thing. My dear little girl is just like me with that darned thing. LOL after they did her first eye she wouldn't put her head back in like she was supposed to and she had to try like 10 times to get the test to work. I think it took like 20 times for the guy to get my second eye the last time I did that. The doctor was able to finally get the second reading though.

Yes my little girl is near-sited. Just like her dad, grandmother, grandfather & nana (all aunts & uncles too.) My father & I are the only ones with 20/20 vision in the entire family. My vision and one other thing are the only good things that I inherited from my father. har har

So after the doctor's visit we took her prescription to our local Wallyworld and found a great pair of frames at less than 1/2 of what the Doctor's office was charging. We found a pair that had the spring loaded hinges and got the polycarbonate lenses (they're supposed to be the good kind). I started looking at sun protection but the sales guy there didn't have much for kids. He suggested that we get a pair of cheap sunglasses that she can just wear over her glasses...and that's what we'll do as it's a cheap option...hello... we already have a pair that she can wear. har har they won't be pretty but they'll work just fine.

I should go now...it's TNO tonight and DH promised to be home soon. bye

12 comments:

  1. I hate the Glaucoma test. :( And it hates me! I've worn glasses since I was eight, contacts since I was 12, and I'm still horrible at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...now we need a pic of the super-model in her new specs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. she dealing with glasses okay? i know i hated it, felt like the dealth knell to my social life in jr. high, but wasn't as bad as i thought...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very near-sighted. In fact, without my contacts I think I may be legally blind. :-)

    I hope Darly adjusts well to her glasses. I would think it's a tough thing to deal with. I know I wouldn't have liked it when I was younger.

    An Island Life
    http://islandlife808.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's see her new glasses! I have been far sighted all my life but waited until I needed reading glasses to get a pair...Now I got new reading glasses (getting stronger, lol) but the doctor got the left eye with the right eye mixed up for the far vision so I wasn't getting used to the new glasses...it was on my TT this week...

    ReplyDelete
  6. got mixed-up myself: I am slightly nearsighted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. is that the puff of air thing? I hate going to the eye doctor. I remember my first pair of glasses -- 7th or 8th grade, that's how long ago, and GLASS they were -- very heavy. the next pair was plastic but the case they gave me actually scratched them. my parents never complained, but they didn't need that kind of hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm an eye doctor's worst nightmare, too. My eyes are so sensitive, to light, to that test, etc.

    We want to see the new glasses. I bet she looks super cool and super smart in them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friends 9 year old daughter just got glasses (she's also near-sighted). The nine year old wasn't too sure if she liked them until I remarked that the glasses made her look older...suddenly she stood up taller and had a great big smile on her face...my guess is that Darly will look older too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh. Glasses at that age. I've had 20/20 until about a year or two ago. My eyes get fuzzy when I don't sleep long enough or when I'm tired. I've got five pairs of the Wallyworld specials lying around for every place in my room (yup, three pairs in that one prison space alone) where I read. If my eyes are not quite focused, I toss them on. I don't even know if they are supposed to be my type, but they work for me.

    I just realized something: you are my first regular commenter! I am going to buy a chocolate shake this afternoon in celebration. You should buy one, too! I may try to send you something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can remember being so happy when I discovered I needed glasses in 5th grade...I thought they would make me look so grownup...just like my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like it went well enough. I needed glasses in 6th grade - but I didn't wear them. I just waited for contacts in 8th grade!

    ReplyDelete