Monday, March 26, 2007

Ka-Ka-Ka-COLD!

After a week of what seemed like spring here (I saw folks in shorts and I even wore short sleves a few times!)...we had a cold snap on Friday. And actually Friday started off being kind of a nice day with a little bit of a chill

But it eventually started raining and it got colder. But everything was fine in our nice cozy house...or so it seemed.

It was at dinner that I mentioned that I was feeling cold. I thought that it was just the cold front and I said something to that fact. Dh said that he felt cold too. So I got up and looked at our thermostat because sometimes for no known reason it decideds that what we really want our house set at in the winter is 68 degrees when we normally keep it at 73.

So I go and look and it says the hold temp for the house is 70? But when you go to bump it up it says that it is set for 73. Hummmm something is WRONG here. I monkey around with it but it doesn't seem to help any.

DH monkeys around with it and doesn't get it to do anything more than I did, so he goes to the basement and starts looking and poking around down there. Ut oh! Things are not looking good.

So he calls one of the guys he works with who does the HVAC where they work. The guy offers to come over, but DH is hoping to avoid spending any money...so he asks if he can be talked through what to check. The guy talks him through and they realize that the gas valve is not working. But if DH bangs on it (or at least that's what it sounds like he is doing) then the furnace will kick on...so DH thinks it is all good. He then hogs the computer to find out how much a new gas valve is gonna cost us. not looking good.

DH gets the furnace to run again before bedtime, but the house is not at 73. I tell Darly to put on warm PJs and we turn on our heated mattress pads (LOVE THOSE THINGS! THE BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT!!!!!!) DH tried to run the furnace again at 2am but it had finally given up the ghost. I slept fine with my heated mattress pad, and so did Darly. DH didn't get to sleep.

Saturday morning I got up at 7:30ish and asked DH if I should run the oven's self cleaner to try to heat the house some since all we had were the fire place and one space heater. He said go ahead. So I'm huddling by the stove with my coffee. LOL

DH calls his friend up and he can't come over until after noon. I'm fine with that as I've got on 3 layers of clothes and a blanket...no worries. The oven was still going.

We were talking about staying at MIL's if it didn't get fixed soon. They guy showed up and we needed a new gas valve & a new ignitor. He got us all runnning in time for dinner.

DH whined that it picked a fine time to break. I was very greatful that it chose a weekend when it only dropped to the low 30s instead of during Christmas when it went to below zero.

We're warm now.

14 comments:

  1. Yikes, I'm glad you turned on the oven! Brrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I had the opposite problem! The air conditioner in our new house wasn't working on the level where our bedroom is. Luckily, the were able to come out within 2 days (it's going to be 80 today!) and adjust something or other...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it all got fixed - and fast! It always seems like those things break at the most inopportune times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder when dh would have thought it would have been a good time for the gas valve and ignitor to stop working? Thank goodness he knew someone to call and they came quickly. I don't like being cold, but I dislike being too hot even more. Brillant idea to turn on the oven's self cleaner...I will file that idea away in case I ever need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK...you can tell I haven't lived in cold weather for decades...I've never heard of a heated mattress pad before but it does sound really cozy. And what a great idea to use the oven's self cleaner to warm up...I've never used my oven's self cleaning cycle (OK we dont cook much) but maybe I'll turn it on to see what it does. ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds all too similar to the heater at our house. One year we had to bang on the pipes to get it to come on. That's tough to do when you are sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so resourceful! Glad it happened on the weekend too. Count your blessings.
    Darly looks absolutely darling in her glasses!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uff da! That's no good! But yeah, better now than before!

    I'm loving the countdown to Darly's birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smart of you to turn on the oven. And at least everything is fixed now. PHEW!
    =:8

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brrrr... Glad you are toasty warm now!!
    xo
    LBC

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've been having some gorgeous temps the last couple of days. It give me home that spring is really really here :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad it's fixed, but what a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  13. our upstairs zone isn't working, and we're really glad the weather has been nice for that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cold but that would be a little too much for me. I'm surprised you were able to get someone to fix it so quickly! Glad it's working now!

    An Island Life
    http://islandlife808.com

    ReplyDelete