Thursday, July 26, 2007

It is Finished!

nope! not Harry Potter...I finished that on Monday.

I had been planning this since I knew that Darly was going to camp. I was gonna clean the basement and toss out a bunch of her stuff. This of course didn't make Darly happy.

So I warned Darly that if she wanted to save anything it had better be put away...anything on the floor was a gonner! Did she clean it? Ah nope!

Today I was supposed to meet with someone but the canceled, so I no longer had any excuse to put it off...time to get busy. So I put the dogs outside and set to work.

When I got down there I was overwhelmed! Where in the world do I begin???

So I started at the door and worked my way back and in the beginning I got stuck in the same rutt that I normally do. Oh this goes over there...and before I go back I can take this and this and this...and oh this goes in the trash and that goes over there! So after catching myself do that maybe 2 times I just grabbed a box...made it empty and used it. I had a trash bag, a keep box and a give away box that I slowly dragged behind me to get each part of the basement.

I don't know how long it too...but I got rid of 4 lawn sized trashbags full of stuff, one large box of stuff to get rid of and there are a bunch of keep boxes all over...but everything is in someplace.

When Darly comes home she will be assigned one keep box per day and have to get rid of 5 items out of each box (trust me, she won't miss it!) and put the rest of the items away. If she doesn't finish a box...the entire thing is going.

Eventually I hope that we can get it so it is much more managable down there.

Course now DH will come home and ask where something I threw out is. LOL!

The comments~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heather said...
No before and after pics? Those are the greatest! Way to go mom!! You did it! :)
why is it that I always think “I should have taken pictures AFTER I finish?

Carmen said...
Wow, can you come over and clean my closet for me? :) I need to throw things out, but I keep thinking that I should just sell on ebay.
I found that for me it’s just easier to donate my items to charity…call them up and leave it on the porch. Then I can write it off on the taxes and I don’t have to do any extra work.

Haley-O said...
Congrats Renee -- that's a huge job! :)
thanks bunches! It was a big job and there’s still more to do. But at least it’s cleaner now. I’ve told Darly that she has to go through the boxes. She thinks that she might just dump them into the get rid of it box…I’ll have to get another get rid of it box.

Kailani said...
If she hasn't played with it for a while, hopefully she won't miss it! Great job! I need to so something like that with our storage room. I can barely get the door open! LOL!


I know the stuff I tossed won’t be missed as well as a bunch that is in the boxes for her to sort through. I’m hoping that like she said she WILL dump some of those boxes. LOL!

Bone said...
I have trouble throwing things away. I usually tell girlfriends that if they don't like something, just get rid of it without me knowing, and I probably will never miss it.
Brave Man! LOL!

Lynn said...
Great, now can you come and do my house? I start to 'declutter' and area, and invariably get sidetracked and never completely finish it. I like your system of dragging the 3 separate containers through the room, with you. Brilliant.
If you and Joan will pay for my ticket there and also offer me something to make it worth my wild…sure I’ll come out there and declutter your stuff…just know that you may find many things missing when I’m gone.

Joan said...
Wow...I'm impressed! What a great plan of attack...you sound so organized! Now...when can I expect you over at my house to lead me on the path of cleanliness???

8 comments:

  1. No before and after pics? Those are the greatest! Way to go mom!! You did it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, can you come over and clean my closet for me? :) I need to throw things out, but I keep thinking that I should just sell on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Renee -- that's a huge job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If she hasn't played with it for a while, hopefully she won't miss it! Great job! I need to so something like that with our storage room. I can barely get the door open! LOL!

    Kailani
    An Island Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have trouble throwing things away. I usually tell girlfriends that if they don't like something, just get rid of it without me knowing, and I probably will never miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, now can you come and do my house? I start to 'declutter' and area, and invariably get sidetracked and never completely finish it. I like your system of dragging the 3 seperate containers through the room, with you. Brillant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...I'm impressed! What a great plan of attack...you sound so organized! Now...when can I expect you over at my house to lead me on the path of cleanliness???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to do this last week... and failed. I have so much more crap than I ever knew. Want to come do it for me? I'm sure that I probably won't miss it if I don't know it's there to begin with...

    ReplyDelete