Saturday, July 28, 2007

Bones, Stealing, Fighting, Upset tummies & 5am wakeup call!

WARNING! You May Not Want To Read This When Consuming Food, After Recently Consuming food or About to Consume Food.

Yesterday I met with the gal who is going to take over my LLL job for me, but to spare her & her daughter the dogs I put Lilly & Princess in the back yard. That worked for a little while. It was a nice, not so hot day and they were happy.

but then we took a lunch break and the dogs could see us in the kitchen. So I let them in and they of course smelled doggy from being outside for most of the morning. So the 4y/o asked if I could put them back outside. Well the dogs wanted to be inside...there was food!

So I got a bright idea. I went to the freezer and pulled out my stash of soup bones (I buy these for Lilly as they are better for your dog than "dog bones" since they're still raw.) I gave Princess the smaller bone and gave Lilly the other one and separated the dogs. Princess took one sniff at her bone and promptly went for Lilly's. But there was no arguing and I was able to go inside.

Later, after my guests had left I go to check on the dogs and Lilly is in the process of burying the bone. She is digging the hole and has of course set her bone down. next thing I notice is Princess has stolen Lilly's bone while she is still digging the hole! I laughed so hard!

The rest of the evening was the dogs stealing the bones back from each other and hiding them. ("don't they both know that the other dog can smell them out just as well as they can?") Oh well.

Both dogs went to bed with very full tummies... but at sometime near 5am I heard one simple bark our of Lilly. I'm assuming she must have heard me tossing in bed because when I woke from the bark I realized I needed to use the restroom.

Lilly NEVER wakes me up that way unless it's urgent. So I rushed downstairs and let both dogs out and sure enough they both had to go really really badly. EWWWE YUCK the smell was just awful! I sat out there for about an hour or so with them, making sure they showed no more signs of intestinal distress before allowing them back inside...and even then I blocked them in just the kitchen...just to be sure.

I had intended to clean the back yard after I got dressed (I am still in my bathrobe) but I had to take care of the smell. So I was out picking up dog poop in my bathrobe. I'm sure if any of my neighbors could see me they were giggling like crazy. But at least I got the mess cleared up without puking!

Both dogs are now napping here in the computer room with me and I don't hear any gurgling tummies any more...so I think that I'm safe...for a bit.

Oh Yeah! I threw both bones into the trash with the poop!

13 comments:

  1. Wow - you do the funnest things in the weee hours of the morning.

    I hear you might be meeting my sister... That's cool!!
    xo
    LBC

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at Ladybugcrossing ;)

    So, if you bought these bones can you call the company and complain? Tell them you were NOT impressed with the mess and it wasnt a fluke because both dogs had it? Ugh... I am sorry you had to clean it! Poor you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take your word for it and come back a little later.

    kailani
    An Island Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ewwww. Thank goodness they had their 'upset tummies' outside, and not in your house. I'm afraid to give bones to my dog...for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewwwww, yuck is right! I'm glad both dogs made it outside before letting loose...

    I'm sure our neighbor would sell just a bale or two of hay. It's the people who live on Tomahawk, south of E Parker Rd. They have a "hay for sale" sign at their driveway that has their phone number. I'd give them a call, I'm sure it's cheaper than pet store hay.

    Maura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yucky yucky!!! Wow...it's a good thing you recognized Lilly's nighttime signal and got them outside before the "explosion." Now I remember another reason we don't have a dog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, dogs and bones. Loads of fun. We house sat for a couple with 3 dogs once. They left the dogs bones so "they wouldn't feel sad." We had to be somewhere, so we put the dogs in the house like we were supposed to. Bad move.

    The dogs literally EXPLODED all over the house. It looked like they were all running in circles while poop was shooting out of their butts. Never again!

    I hope this is just a temporary situation. Hee hee! My figures tried to type "shituation." Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my - that is just awful. (Note to self - no soup bones!)

    You shouldn't have two too much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... sounds like exactl what I want to do at 5 am :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gross, my first time visiting in ages and I get to read this LOL
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Wendy directed me here today" and I'm glad I got here before eating dinner because, being a dog owner, I find your descriptions vivid and I have my own memories of unpleasant pet experiences. :-0

    Glad everything settled down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, that's just like cleaning the litterbox when I have a stinky in the middle of the night.
    Oh, and yes that was me on the table. I am a little jealous of all the attention Sammy gets when he rolls all over the table, so I have been climbing up there too and rolling around to get more attention for myself. Mommy says I'm jealous. I say "it's only fair that I get the same amout of attention". - Miles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, at least you got some amusement out of it. I'm so happy that you are giving up the LLL job. i hope life is happier without it!

    ReplyDelete