Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm freezing but I can't find any Ice!

skating lessons that is.

Darly would like to learn how to ice skate. And one would think that in Colorado...the land of snow that we would have plenty of ice skating rinks. One would think that. But we really don't have that many rinks...and the ones we do have like hockey more than learning to ice skate.

The closest rink to us is a district rink, but we don't live within the district...so we have to pay out of district rates to use it. GRRR! Why is it my fault that I don't live in the district???

My lousy town did discuss putting in an ice rink...they would LOVE it if someone else put it in and payed for it. As it stands they put in a field house instead at our taxpayer expense...but it has no ice. Instead it has an indoor roller hockey rink (we already have two other roller hockey rinks in town!!!) I must assume that the town did not want to incurr the expense of an ice rink. I guess they haven't ever heard "If you build it, they will come." Because I KNOW that if they built an ice rink (or filled one of their precious roller rinks with ice) folks would come and pay for it. Oh well.

So back to the out of district rink...they do offer lessons and the rates aren't terribly bad. But the scheduling is! And I totally understand that the reason they put the times at the hours they do is because normally most children would be in school so the times wouldn't get filled up. BUT I live in the home of our statewide Homeschooling group. I know that there are TONS of homeschoolers here...shoot my homeschooling group has over 60 families with the average size being 4 kiddos. That's loads of kids home all day who could learn to skate, if they offered the time during the day. Instead I get to choose from evenings or Saturdays. I did find one session that will offer times during the day.

I need to discuss with Darly if she wants to sign up for these classes as it would mean that she would be double booked...Ice in the morning at 10am (that means her waking up early...LOL!) and Gymnastics in the evenings at 5:30pm. I think that she can do it and the ice is only 6 weeks long...unless she wants to continue. but we can deal with that when it happens.

There's another ice rink we could go to. The prices there are a bit lower and she would get 8 lessons instead of just 6. However the rink is about 30 min away and the lessons are twice a week...30 min each. If we lived closer, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But that's a long way to go twice a week for just 30 min on the ice. sigh!

so I'll talk to Darly when she gets off the phone with her friend and see if she wants this.

7 comments:

  1. I suggest just taking her to a rink and put skates on her feet - she'll learn. :) I learned to ice skate by falling on my butt alot. Plus, falling on one's butt is free. :)

    Seriously, I hope you get it all worked out. She'll be well-rounded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee - Build one right in your backyard. I think you need some boards, a tarp, water and cold weather. The rates are very reasonable and times are easy to schedule. It's hardly ever crowded and you don't have to wait for a town board decision. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! You'd think you lived in northern VA!
    Now, just be prepared for her to love it... You might consider private lessons during the day. She'll get a whole lot more out of it and progress so much faster.
    Take it from me... It's a very very expensive sport, but if they love it and they are good at it, it's worth every penny.
    Oh - invest in decent skates -- it makes a HUGE difference.
    xo
    LBC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. My second time trying to comment. Seems google hates me tonight.

    I don't find it hard to believe at all that you can't find a rink. I have never been ice skating in my entire life and we know where I live :)

    That said, I don't understand why they don't put ice underneath the regular rink? The venue the Badgers play at does that... so I'd think if a college team can do it, so could a local rink :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never learned how to but I love to watch people ice skating!! Just watched the championship in Sweden, it was very beautiful.
    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that finding a proper skating rink would be so difficult. However, on our last day in Tahoe, we wanted to skate one last time but the rinks were either closed for the season or cost a fortune!

    Sounds like Darly is going to be a very busy girl!

    Kailani
    http://islandlife808.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might want to ask the ice skating rink how many children it would need to offer classes during the week...during the school day hours. If enough children were interested, they might be willing to accommodate your schedule.

    ReplyDelete