Friday, August 29, 2008

ahh...Bacon!

I finally got the first tomatoe from my garden the other day and I just had to do it justice by having a BLT sandwich for lunch today.  There's nothing better in the world than a BLT with a Fresh from the garden tomatoe!

So for lunch today I gathered up the ingredients and started cooking the bacon.  We only had 4 slices of bacon in the house.  boo!  and in case you're wondering, no I haven't been pigging out on bacon.
I got this tip a while back...when you finish using the bacon take the rest of it and roll the strips into "serving sizes" and place those in a ziptop bag and freeze!  Then whenever you need bacon you have it handy and you don't have to worry about it going bad in the frig or being a cold hard block from being in the freezer.

Well once the smell of bacon filled the house, Darly came running.  "can you make me some bacon too please?"  Sometimes I question teaching this kid about all the good foods out there, especially when there are only 4 slices!!!

Once the bacon was done I started making my sandwich.  Because I'm not totally heartless, I made my sandwich with only two slices of the bacon instead of all four.  I put on the mayo, two very nice thick slices of my tomatoe and some lettuce from my garden too.

The sandwich was totally wonderful!!!  But now it's a few hours later, the house still smells of bacon and I want some more!!!  I could make a LT sandwich (my mom used to do that all the time!), but it's just about 5pm and DH will be home looking for his dinner.  sigh!  I guess I could go make our dinner too.  But instead I'm blogging and eating almonds.

7 comments:

  1. Mmmm I love bacon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, bacon! we are so overrun with tomatoes right now and all I can say is BRING EM ON! why hadn't I thought of BLT's? we have lettuce and tomatoes from the garden and I think we still have bacon in the freezer from when we raised pigs... it would be a whole home-made meal! -- oops except for the bread!! gotta start growing some wheat out there, I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmh, I can almost smell the bacon and I am so hungry right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm...I adore bacon. Sadly, I haven't had a BLT (my all-time favorite sandwich) in years thanks to a diagnosis of high cholesterol. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I <3 BLTs. Will you make me one too? O:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, I used to make bacon sandwiches a lot when I was a bachelor. Oh wait, I'm still a bachelor. But for some reason I don't make them as much anymore.

    I'd cook the bacon in the microwave, because I was never quite sure how to make it any other way. Then I'd put cheese and mayo on it. And sometimes lettuce. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nothing in the world smells better than bacon. jason cooks it in the microwave, but i like to fry it up the old fashioned way. :)

    ReplyDelete