Wednesday, November 16, 2005

It's Thursday 13 time again!


Thirteen Things about Renée


1. I’m a La Leche League Leader. What’s that? LLL is a support group for breastfeeding & pregnant women. We provide information and support for moms. Well, yesterday I got a call from a new dad. He was pretty nervous talking to me about this, but his wife speaks only Spanish and they needed the info. I was okay talking to the dad…even if it wasn’t a real call (we do get pervs calling sometimes) we treat it as real and just hope for the best. This call sounded very legit though. I hope that everything works out for them.

2. I’m also Homeschooling my DD and I plan field trips for our Homeschooling support group. Sometimes they are great…sometimes not so great. Lately, I’ve been very lucky. The kids and parents have both been pleased. YAY!

3. Part of our Homeschooling group is a coop that you don’t have to participate in, but it sure is fun. That’s why I’ve been so busy. I printed out all the classes and let Darly (my dd) choose which classes she wanted to take. She picked most of them. LOL! It’s a good thing I edited out a few before she picked.

4. As part of LLL, I’m also the treasurer for our area. This means that I keep the money and pay the bills. I also have to attend planning meetings 4 times a year. Our last meeting was on Saturday. It’s pretty much an all day affair and they held it about an hour and a half away from my house this time (the location changes). But we didn’t get all the people who were supposed to be there because of the distance. Funny, everyone wants the meetings to be in their backyard before they’ll attend…but they also think that we should have folks from all over to be there. Go figure…whine whine whine!

5. The best part of the meetings are the pot luck lunches! Everyone there are great cooks…well at least everything that I tried. I stay clear of those weird looking bean salads. And everyone loves my cooking. I brought pumpkin soup again and they all want my recipe. It’s good stuff…I saved some for Thanksgiving, even though I still have 8 more pumpkins to cook up.

6. The bad part of the meeting was telling everyone that we need more money. But we came up with some really good ideas for fundraising. And we’re working on getting an on-line donation website. Hopefully that pays off as it ain’t cheep.

7. Speaking of pumpkins and Thanksgiving, DH has arranged that I will cook our turkey at MIL’s house. But I need to talk with her to get all the info. I don’t know if I’m supposed to bring the entire meal and cook it there or if just the bird. I don’t mind any of it, just need more details. This came about because I said that I was cooking a bird anyway and it didn’t make sense for MIL to have a bird too since she can have our left-overs. So I’ll just get a bigger bird.

8. The grocery store that I shop at puts turkeys on sale for $5. In the past I’ve looked for the smallest bird I could find..since we’re a family of 3 and we usually have Thanksgiving at someone else’s house first. But this year, I’ll look for a bigger bird so that MIL and us can have the right amount of left-overs. I’m figuring on about 3 days worth of bird each.

9. I’ll go shopping for this today. That should give me plenty of thaw time and time for oops I forgot something trips too.

10. On to a totally different subject now. Our Museum of Science & Nature has a Grossology exhibt going on now. If one comes to your area, you should see it. It’s really cool and educational. We were at the museum all day. I thought the IMAX movie on The Human Body might bring up some questions for Darly, but her only question was “Why did they show so much about the pregnant lady?” I explained that’s how the body starts growing…and that was the end of the discussion. Wondering if this kid is ever going to ask about how pregnancy happens at all? She knows a lot…just not how sperm gets into the female. Although she knows that other animals mate to do this. I think that she’s still too young to get that humans do this too. Or maybe it’s too young to care about it. She has a book that explains this pretty graphically, but I don’t think she has read that part yet. I need to ask her.

11. Yesterday Darly went to a symphony concert with a friend. She had a great time and loved the music. This is even though she whines when DH plays something that isn’t one of her CDs on the sterio. So we’re getting a copy of the CD they put out.

12. I don’t think that I’ll be posting this next week. I’ll be spending the day at MIL’s house cooking up the bird. I hope that you all have a great week. I’m sure I’ll post something before T-day though. I wonder if someone will come up with something special for next week.

13. In case you wondered or cared… I actually typed this all out yesterday (Wednesday) and saved it to my ‘puter to post it today. I didn’t want to forget about it or be late. I still don’t have a catchy title yet…but I’ll come up with something by then. (okay, I’m typing this all on Wednesday but acting like it’s really Thursday…how messed up will my week be??? I’m already messed up with DH staying home yesterday…it felt like a Saturday.) TTFN!

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Jen
2. the toothfairy
3. Jennifer's World
4. squashedtoad
5. uzicue
6. Holly
7. Running2ks
8. Veronika
9. bone
10. Sheri & SuZan
11. Audra
12. Sally
13. Katy
14. Rock Bitch
15. Mommy D
16. Tommi
17. Lisa

(leave your link and I'll post you here)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, (I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TRACKBACKS & PINGS ARE OR HOW TO ACCEPT THEM! SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!)comment links accepted!



15 comments:

  1. Yeah, I cheated. I'm going to be busy tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have done mine early, I was scrambling!

    Here's mine!: http://jenanddavin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your T13. I think it's wonderful that you are part of LLL. I breast fed both my children for as long as I could. Which was about 9 months each. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

    I hope that you have a wonderful thanksgiving. And all this talk about turkeys makes me wish we didn't already have ours in October :) Heck my MIL is American maybe I'll cook a turkey for her :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for signing my 13... I've cheated once and backdated... shhh..... don't tell anyone.

    SquashedToad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Renee, thanks for visiting my 13. I live up North from you, btw - about an hours drive or so.

    I don't think my two year old learned the kiss wiping from school, it just fits with his personality. He is pretty darned strong-willed, and sweet, all rolled into one (a true Leo). He goes to daycare 3/4 time, but I didn't notice my older one mimicing other kids until he was older... But, I guess you never know!

    Anyway, your list was fun to read. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to be the most organized mom I have met lately. Holy Moly, you have it all down--committees and groups and everything. And even pre-planning the blog (which I confess to doing as well).

    It was so nice to "meet" you today. We have a grossology museum near us--I've been meaning to check it out.

    Here's my 13:
    http://running2ks.blogsome.com/2005/11/17/a-thankful-thursday-thirteen/

    ReplyDelete
  7. A turkey for $5? I wanna shop where you shop! We love pumpkin soup, too.
    Cheating is a good idea sometimes! I didn't put mine up until late last night. Thanks for visiting me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog (and commenting).

    My T-13 is here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes you just have to cheat! I've done it too...LOL. Thanks for visiting our blog.

    SuZan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Renee! I’m so glad you found me – I’m really happy I started the Thursday Thirteen! I’ll be sure to add you to my list for next week.

    I'm a member of the National Childbirth Trust - very pro breastfeeding too - I loved Bfing my son and intend to do it should I get pregnant again.

    BTW - a stone is 14lbs. I need to lose at least 28 before I can get pregnant....

    Looking forward to getting to know you - especially on Thursdays! (or fridays)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I plan on homeschooling as well. I am ALL for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list and lots of admirable things that you do!!

    www.therockbitch.com

    The Rock Bitch

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you are a busy mom homeschooling and volunteering for LLL! Good for you. I tried to breastfeed as long as I could. I only lasted three months. Breastfeeding triplets was so hard. Thanks for stopping by my 13 this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tommi asked me to post this for her:

    Hi! Thanks for visiting me!
    I liked your 13. You're a busy momma, huh! Sheesh, I wish I had the energy....
    Enjoy your BIG turkey! Good luck!
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't feel bad...I don't know what pings and trackbacks are either!

    I'm catching up on these 13's late, but I saw your other post - good for you on the early shopping!

    ReplyDelete