Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas Thursday 13



Thirteen Things that Renée loves about CHRISTMAS


First I want you to notice that today's 13 is NOT posted on Wednesday night with the time monkeyed with. I really got up this moring at 6AM to do this. Well actually I got up because my oven's self-cleaner that I turned on last night was beeping at me... but I was still thinking about you too! :D

1. That all the radio stations are playing songs about Jesus' birth!

2. That my Christian radio station hasn't been playing Christmas songs non-stop since before Thanksgiving. Even today the first song that I heard wasn't about Christmas...they won't go full blown Christmas until the 24th. So I'm not sick of hearing them yet. YAY! I listen to http://www.KLOVE.com

3. I love decorating the house for Christmas. My decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving and will stay up until Jan 6th. My Mom used to say to leave them up until after the New Year to carry the Spirit into the New Year. Then I started leaving them up until Jan 4th for my birthday... and now I leave them up for the Epiphany.

4. I love seeing Darly open up gifts that are "JUST WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED!!!!" She's so cute when she gets a good gift. We still need to work on her reaction to when she gets a "not so good gift" because one year she questioned Santa's sanity when he gave her Halloween costumes...they were for dressing up. AND it turned out that she loved them and wouldn't take them off and wear normal clothes for weeks. SEE SANTA DOES know what he's doing.

5. I love figuring out the perfect gift for DH and suprising him with it. Last year I had managed to catch everything that he wanted and got it all for him (of course that left nothing for me to get him for his birthday in FEB, but oh well!) See if DH doesn't like a gift he just won't do anything with it. His laser level is still in the package in the basement...but not near his tools. He also still has a red Members Only jacket in the box that his mom got for him.

6. I love cooking Christmas dinner. I now have my "signature" meal. It took me a while of trying to come up with the perfect dish, but I did it. See, MIL has us come over on Christmas Eve for Church service & dinner of Ham. SIL has us come over on Christmas day (normally, but not this year) for prestents & Deep Fried Turkey. So my dinner this year is on the 23rd and is Beef Rib Roast. Yeah, it's expensive but it's only once a year and the stores put it on sale.

7. I'm also making my grandmother's cheesecake. This is very expensive too with 5 boxes of cream cheese & 7 eggs. But it's also only once a year and sooooo yummmy! And now that my grandmother can't make it anymore, it's up to me. One of these days, I'll have to go to FL to make it for grandma before it's too late.

8. I love my mom dearly, but I am so glad that she isn't here for the holidays. Why? Because even though I'm following the recipe perfectly, I'm not doing it right (and she messes it up!) The last time I was here, she had comments about how I do the laundry, how I have my kitchen arranged, how I seasoned the meat for Christmas dinner and how to make Grandma's cheesecake (adding stuff that Grandma doesn't and monkeying with the cooking.)

9. I love that MIL won't say anything if she doesn't like something, but lay on the praises if she does. She likes my cooking, but I don't think that she likes my cleaning (she's german and they always have floors so clean you can eat off of them... my floors look as if someone did eat off of them!)

10. I love that MIL lives 45 minutes away and Mom lives 5 states away. Mom whines that we don't come for Christmas, but who wants to spend Christmas in Florida when we live in Colorado?

11. I love that all my shopping is done early and is finally all wrapped. All I will have to do Christmas morning is to put it under the tree. It's also fun that Darly at age 7 and homeschooled still believes in Santa and except for trying to catch him is no where near figuring things out. When I was her age I already knew all about Santa.

12. I love Christmas eve service at Church. We will be going to MIL's Church this year and their service is always very lovely (our Church's service is great too and I hate to miss it, but we can't be at two places at once.) MIL's pastor always says "Jesus loves you, and so do I" at each service. He also says when it's time for communion that "The Gifts from God are FREE!" I know these, but I like to be reminded in this busy time of year of them.

13. And I'm so excited that this year Christmas falls on a Sunday so we will finally be going to Church on Christmas day. I'm sure it will be small and cozy and very special.

I wish that all of you have a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone out there.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. squashedtoad
2. ivoryfrog
3. Lisa
4. phoenix
5. Lazy Daisy
6. Kat
7. D
8. Running2Ks
9. Jennifer
10. laura
11. yellowrose
12. Jen
13. chickadee
14. sallwood
15. Veronika
16. bone
17. Prairierose
18. audra
19. Dawn N.
20. barbara
21. Karin
22. leanne
23. uzicue
24. Lisa @ The World..
25. deejay
26. tc
27. texas ivy
28. holly
New Friends:
1. master enigma
2. Allison
3. Charity
4. ms. crystal
5. Jane
6. themartins
7. Lazy Daisy
8. anna
9. janet

(If you're a first time visitor, leave your link in comments, and I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



21 comments:

  1. I miss Colorado! It is my total favorite place.

    And I love the "just what I always wanted" too :) I am hoping for a bit of that this year myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! I've been playing Christmas carols nonstop on my stereo since the beginning of the week. Its been hard to get in the Christmas mood with rain falling and no snow. I agree... Colorado would a a much nicer place than Florida for the holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Christmas being on Sunday also. Looking forward to the Chrismas eve service as well!

    My 13 is at http://www.20six.co.uk/Enigma

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thursday 13! I also love decorating for Christmas despite the fact that it's a pain taking it all down! LOL. Last year my tree stayed up until Feb cuz I was too lazy to take it down. LOL.

    http://www.danno.org/blogs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list! :) We decorate the day after Thanksgiving here - our families think we're nuts. Oh well!

    Thanks for visiting my 13!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, you've been busy!

    I love your comment on your floors on #9! Crack me up LOL

    Mine are (finally) up! http://jenanddavin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Christmas dinner sounds awesome! I hope you get snow for Christmas. We're supposed to get RAIN here in Middle Tennessee....eh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:53 AM

    I used to live in Colorado Springs! I miss the snow!

    Here in Georgia it doesn't feel like Christmas without the snow! We have lots of rain...but no snow!

    my 13 are up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:58 AM

    The cheesecake sounds to die for!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy Cheesecake!!!

    I have to admit, I'm with you on the mom thing....it's been nice since we moved away!

    Have a very Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog and your 13 list. It is great to have a new blog friend. Hope you will add me to the list. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that church is on Sunday, too. BH is delivering the Christmas morning "sermon". To answer your question on my blog, they letters came via the town newspaper from the children at school. Yes, they still allow them to write to Santa. I guess I should be grateful for that at least.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I finally finished my shopping and I'm SOOOOO happy! Hurray! I love all the Christmas music on the radio too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi! Came via TT blogroll. Man, just when *I* thought I was busy.. whewy! :-)

    Nice to see new "face" out there!

    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great 13! First time here. ::blush::

    Have a very Merry Christmas!

    My 13 is up too... (although it is down a couple posts)

    http://themartins03.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Christmas dinner sounds delish! There isn't anything more beautiful than seeing the look on our kids' faces when they open their presents, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Christmas season and all teh songs too! :)

    Merry Christmas!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved your list and the cheese cake receipe sounds divine! Enjoy your little ones, they grow up quickly. Lazy Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Indeed... Christmas in Colorado is the best. My parents live in California, which I love to visit in the summertime. But Christmas? Not when we live here!

    Hope your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are magical Renee!

    P.S. I did finally get my 13 up, but NOT as early as you did, you overachiever, you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally with you on #3, I do the same thing! #8...isn't that what what Moms are for? #9 I see DH is alot like his mom ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look at you, you're all over the visiting everyone! Yayyy!!

    Your dinner and dessert sound yummy - I hope you have a very merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete