Saturday, December 24, 2005

The HoliDAZE!

Well last night was my Holiday dinner. I got up and started cleaning the house like crazy. I even got out a chair and the furniture polish and dusted the knick knack shelves which haven't been touched in ages (because no one looks at them and no one looked at them last night either, but DH was complaining that I was going for the Dusty Atic look a few days ago...so I did it.)

I washed, I dusted, I put things away... I needed to take a shower, so I made a list of what still needed to be done and left it for DH & DD to work on. Dh said Okay, I'll work on it.

When I came back from the shower there was no noticiable difference that anything on my list had been done. I was hoping that the vacuuming would be finished. So I grabbed the vacuume and started doing it, even though I had just taken a shower. I ended up vacuuming with no shirt on because I was beginning to sweat and I didn't want to be all smelly and need another shower.

I got all the rooms vacuumed except for the kitchen, because DH was supposed to clean up all the newspapers off the floor...but he was "working" (reading his huge pile) of mail on the kitchen counter instead! Then he looks up and gives me a look of "OH! You need the FLOOR cleaned?" HUMPH! That was first on my list.

So he starts "cleaning" (reading) the huge stack of newspapers...to make sure there is nothing in there that he still wants to keep.

I went and did a million other things, including preparing lunch, and getting my rib roast into the oven, before the floors were finally cleared enough to vacuume. His "cleaning" included leaving plastic bags (for cleaning dog poop outside with) upon my plant shelf!!! As if I want our guests seeing that???

I had washed the kitchen counters off, except for the counter with the huge pile of mail on it. DH blows the dust off of it...

Finally the house was "As clean as it was gonna get." and I could focus on the cooking part. It seemed to take forever to get that rib roast to cook! And then it seemed to be cooking too fast, so I turned it down, and then had to crank it back up. (should have just trusted the method) MIL & BIL showed up early. BRO & SIL showed up late (they were supposed to be here early (before MIL/BIL) so we could exchange gifts so that didn't happen). But my nephew (21 months old) got to open his gift and he loved it... Stuffed Elmo, Books & a Puzzle along with some of Darly's old books & toys. The glee on his face was priceless... I wish I had a picture of him with his books.

Dinner turned out great and everyone was thoroughly stuffed. Now I'm off the hook until next year. Well there's that Santa gig tomorrow AM ('cuz Darly won't want to go to sleep to try and catch the elf!) But that won't be too bad, I've got her all taken care of.

Happy HoliDAZE to you all!

5 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Good job on dinner!

    Merry Christmas :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that it went well. now tou can relax a little!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness that sounds so familiar! hehe. Glad it all turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you all got from cleaning to stuffed fast!

    Sounds fantastic to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like what happens when I ask my kids to help with the housework - I end up doing it!
    Sounds like you all enjoyed the day. :)

    ReplyDelete