Friday, April 27, 2007

I'm Swapped!

Imagine a gymnasium full of young girls, milling about asking "Do you wanna swap?" That was kinda the middle part.

Let's back up a bit...

This is a Girl Scout thing.

First we were invited to the Swap by one of the troop in our Service Unit. The theme is "Let's go to the Beach!" So we bring beach themed swaps and dress in our going to the beach wear.

A swap is a small item that the girls make that they give away in exchange for something from the other girl.

So I was wracking my brain as to what to make...and I came up with Shrinky Dinks! They're extreemly versital. So Darly sat down and designed our beachy swaps. She came up with a palm tree, a star fish (or sea star for you scientific folks out there) and a beach ball. I traced the designs over and over onto the shrinky dink plastic stuff and we both colored them in...we also put our troop number on them and then popped them in the oven to shrink. Lots of fun! We were now ready to go.

We get to the gym tonight and there were tons and tons of girls there.

First the girls had activities to do...make a beach name tag for their lanyard, decorate sunglasses, get a tatoo (the sticker kind), make a picture holder, coloring sheets and then there were the games. I don't even know what kinds of games there were...lots.

The girls had lots of fun and were kept pretty busy. I was able to hold a decent conversation with my friend without getting interupted by my child at all.

Oh, while I'm mentioning this...we got a notice on Thursday that our girl scout troop financial report is due this Sunday! The co-Leader & I were in a panic as we had never seen any report before (I was pretty shocked...in LLL they tell you in the training about having to do the paperwork...in Girl Scouts we never got any kind of paperwork training at all.) Anyway our trusty treasurer had it all under control and was able to turn it in tonight! Yay! Give that woman a prize.

then the girls did the swapping and door prizes were awarded.

I was so glad when Darly said that she was ready to go home...we snuck out the back door because my feet were killing me in my silly flip flops that have beach shells on the straps. The toe part hurts!

I drove home barefoot...did you know that used to be illegal in Florida, but it's not anymore. And now I'm blogging this all for you when I would rather take a nap...see how good I am?

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really fun girl scout event. I would love to know more about the games and activities...maybe next year, in a moment of extreme weakness I might want to coordinate an event like this. I love shrinky dinks, they really make excellent swaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE good!

    Sounds fabulous by the way. I have very fond memories of my Girl Scout days. Good times were had by all and I am still friends with some of my troop members, 25 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the idea of shrinky dinks! Good job. And this activity sounds like lots of fun. What kinds of things did Darly get in the swaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that some states have a law against driving barefoot. I do it all the time.

    And I don't wear flip flops (can you believe that?). They hurt between my toes.

    Kailani
    An Island Life

    ReplyDelete