Saturday, September 22, 2007

Communion

Please pray with us
this blessed day
as our daughter
Darly
receives her
1st Holy Communion
Sunday, October 7th, 2007 at 10:30am
Renee & DH




Wow! Can you believe it? My "sweet" little girl is growing up so fast. It seems like just yesterday she was a baby.

Today was Darly's 1st Communion retreat. This was a class for the kids to learn what Communion is all about, decorate their chalice, and learn how to take Communion. So in two short weeks my baby will have her 1st Communion.

She and the rest of the 22 kids in her class have already started on the journey that will end with their Confirmation in 2012. (25 kids showed up for this retreat!) I'm teaching them and have taught most of them for the past 5 years. Next year I'll have a break, possibly as two other ladies have taught the 6th graders for year (one is thinking about teaching her baby girl's class next year instead.)
For me it is a bit of a learning experience as well since I was never Confirmed...instead I had a Affirmation. I grew up going to a different kind of Church.

I was a bit surprised that she didn't learn anything that I didn't know today. I felt for sure there was something I didn't know about Communion, and I'm sure there still is but they just didn't teach it to my child. Oh well. And there was one thing they didn't go over at all that I told Darly about...
The actual taking of Communion. I told Darly about how some Churches the Pastor places the wafer on your tongue, and how some Churches use bread instead of the wafers we use (and gave her examples like MIL's Church.) In our Church we have two methods...the early service receive the wafer and a cup of wine...the late service are handed a wafer that they dip into the wine.

I decided to make this super easy on me by having us go out for lunch afterward. Darly picked The Black Eyed Pea. And can you believe it? We got a coupon in the mail today for 25% off the bill. YIPPEE! We can take MIL & Darly's God Parents out and get a huge discount...or maybe cover the tip if they're good. LOL!

she's growing up so fast.

5 comments:

  1. I grew up Methodist, and as such never had a first communion. We were allowed to partake as soon as we felt we had a true belief in God. Of course, no wine either: grape juice all the way.

    Even so, the times I have been back to that church since moving away (I was confirmed there as well), I've noticed changes have taken place for communion. I think that a lot of churches change and adapt as time goes on.

    2012??? I can remember a time where I never thought the 1900s would end :)

    She is growing up fast... and I'd venture to guess your parents said the same thing about you once upon a time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting time for Darly, and the rest of your family. I will be thinking of you all, and sending positive thoughts your way on Octover 7th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a proud moment for you. She is really growing up to be a very mature young lady.

    Kailani
    An Island Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.. what a proud moment :) That is sooo awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Darly!

    ReplyDelete