Monday, September 17, 2007

The Conversion

Today was the beginning of the end. The end of my being a LLL Leader.

I first became a Leader in October of 2000. We were stationed in S. Korea and there was no LLL group there. So I knew if I wanted to keep my LLL I would need to become a Leader. So I would drive to Seoul once a month for meetings and then every two weeks for my work with the Leader there (who was from Germany but she was accredited in Japan!) to become a Leader. I think my entire process took about 13 months and most of that was the hold up of getting stuff shipped to me overseas and my contact was in Oregon.

I didn't actually lead my first meeting until about June of 2001 because right after I became a Leader we moved back to the US and it took a while for us to find a place to live and such.

In my career as a Leader I've led with two Groups, for a bit both at the same time. I've been a Leader all by myself, I've been a Leader with as many as 3 other Leaders at a meeting. I've helped 4 women become Leaders (3 of them have already retired). I don't know how many women I've actually helped with breastfeeding...I could count my logs but there were many calls that I didn't log as they were simple "when is the meeting?" calls and then there were all the calls from people who had no idea who LLL is or what we do. I've had at least 2 prank calls...one I wasn't home for, thank goodness because he was the one we had to turn in to the police. And I've been the treasurer for our area for the past 3 years.

It seemed a bit odd Leading my last meeting this morning. I am really going to miss those moms and their babies. There's one mom that was there today who I've known since she had her baby and now her baby is 3 and weaned. She made sure I would still answer her other questions. LOL! She's very sweet and I'll be happy to talk to her about anything. But it was also a huge relief to know that was my last one.

I can really see that my heart just isn't in this anymore and it is time for me to move on. And of course there are already plenty of things in my life to "fill the void" for that.

Now I just have to meet with the new treasurer, hopefully tomorrow and pass that torch as well. The new gal is going to be awesome. She has the same kind of "money sense" that I have. I feel good about passing this over to her and soon will be totally done.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm glad that this is a good thing for you, Renee.

    It's always tough to move on from something you loved, even when you've moved on. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going to a LLL meeting before Twelve was born. I went with a friend who had just had her baby. After I had my kids, I never went to another meeting (probably because I had already made the decision to nurse my kids and I had plenty of support already. Having said that, I want to personally thank you for giving of your precious time to volunteering in the organization. I am sure that you made quite a difference in the lives of many women...and their babies.

    How exciting to move on to the next phase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a job well done.

    ReplyDelete