Saturday, February 16, 2008

what to do?

Last week or maybe even before then Darly mentioned that she wanted to get her hair cut...kinda like my new doo. So I kept asking her when she wanted to do it and she finally decided on Wednesday.

So I decided to take her where I got my hair done...Wally World. I've always had good luck there so I didn't think anything of it.

We arrived at the Wally World hair cutting place and I see a very familiar face! It's a girl that we know from Church. (I actually teach her younger sister Sunday School.) I had no idea that she had gone to beauty school, but I did know that she was out of high school. I was quite suprised. And as it turned out, she was the one who would be cutting Darly's hair.

I was fine with that at first...

But as she was cutting Darly's hair, I noticed that her scissors were quite dull. She would take a section of Darly's hair and try to cut it, but the scissors would just push most of it back out. She also didn't have her technique of hanging onto her scissors & comb down and kept having to readjust them.

As she was getting farther along, I noticed quite a bit of hair that she had missed. I didn't say anything until she appeared to be finishing up. So I walked over and just took the hair that I saw and pulled it gently where she could see it. She quickly clipped it off and looked around a bit for any others...but didn't comb the hair that I noticed tucked under and sticking to Darly's neck.

Then she took off the drape and had Darly stand up. Right off I noticed that Darly's hair was uneven. About an inch off. I asked as politely as I could "Is it just me? Or does this seem a bit uneven?" And she then noticed it too and began clipping the longer side to try to make it even. She mentioned that she didn't know how it could look so off since it measured as even. (note: Darly no longer has the drape on her at this point! and hair is getting all over her sweater) Finally she's declaring it done.

I figured it was pointless to try anymore and that I would just fix it up at home. I paid for the cut...luckily Darly is still under 10 so for the next two months we pay the kids price..."YIKES! how did my child grow up so fast?" Darly has her hair tucked behind her ears so the bad cut isn't quite noticable.

We get home and I grab my scissors and comb. OH MY GOSH! What a mess! There were a ton more places where there was a clump of hairs that she just missed. And then the long end was still long. Luckily I know enough about cutting hair to fix it up. And by the time that DH got home to take us out to dinner for Valentines Day, Darly looked perfect!

I am kicking myself for paying for the cut that I could have done myself...especially since I ended up doing it myself anyway.

But my dilemma is Church this week. I certainly don't want to give credit for that cut to the girl from Church, but I also don't want to tell everyone how I had to fix her hair cut and trash her either. I wasn't able to see if she actually has her beauty license yet. I just assumed that Wally World wouldn't hire her until she had it.

*sigh* Perhaps we can just smile and not mention where we got her hair cut for most folks. The fun part will be if the younger sister has already been told about the cut. I guess I should come up with a plan with Darly before we go to Church. We'll just not mention that I had to fix it.

5 comments:

  1. I just wouldn't say anything, and if someone asks if Darly got her hair cut I'd just say something along the linkes of Yup, and try to change the subject, something along the lines of she still gets the kids price, but not for much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Goofy Girl. Just stick to the facts. Yup.. got my hair cut.
    End of subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in total agreement...avoid the specifics of the experience and try to stay as neutral as possible.

    Oh...and now I know who to come to if I ever get a really horrible haircut again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an uncomfortable situation. I too, would try and avoid a direct answer... yep, I got it cut might not suffice, but at least you'll have tried :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't go out of my way to tell about the haircut...however, you also don't want to mislead people if they find out that this girl cut Darly's hair. Someone might just love Darly's haircut and want to know who did it, then make an appointment and boy-o-boy would they be in for a big disappointment. Of course, you could always offer to "fix it" for them...and make some extra money. lol I also think that, privately, you need to let the 'hairdresser' know that when you got home that you had to even out Darly's hair, otherwise she will continue to give substandard haircuts.

    This is sure one sticky situation. Good luck

    ReplyDelete