Saturday, May 03, 2008

Change in weekend plans

DH & I were watching TV last night when Darly's guest comes upstairs and says "something is leaking in your basement."

DH goes down there and finds that the carpet is wet and most of the boxes (my beautiful box collection) are wet!!!

Turns out that when DH decided to flush the hot water heater last week he didn't get the valve shut all the way!

So it's been leaking all week. The weird thing was I was down there yesterday morning and didn't notice it at all!!!

So DH & I have spent the greater part of last evening moving stuff and me trying to save our box of pictures that were on the bottom of the stack. Luckily we only lost a few negatives (not the wedding negatives!!!)

DH has to work today, so I get to go through the mess and throw out the damaged boxes and see what's left to salvage.

Oh another lucky thing was that most of the boxes were just empty boxes that I was saving.

I should be downstairs working on this right now...but Darly & her guest decided that they wanted to sleep in the family room on the couches instead of up in the very messy rooms (wonder how those rooms got so messy?)

UPDATE: it took about two hours but I got all the boxes taken care of. Most of them I crushed down and moved to the garage for the next recycle day. There were two that I took some styrofoam to put under them in hopes that the boxes would dry out and still be relatively stable...stable enough to get rid of the stuff in them first before I have to move them.

Other than a few wrinkly pictures and about 5 totally soaked boxes we seem to be all okay. Oh and we did loose a few sets of negatives...but I don't think that I'll ever be wanting to make new copies of those pictures again anyway...and if I do, I could use my scanner to do it.

Oh and the coolest...NO BROKEN NAILS! YAY!

And as a treat I got myself a new monitor for the computer. Well I needed the monitor as the old one was "blinking" at me. This one seems huge...so huge that it doesn't seem to know what to do with all of the info. I should check my control panel.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, no!! a leakage isn't fun at all. Good thing most of your boxes were empty!!
    You are right, my cactus is a prickly pear although the needles aren't large.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo glad your pictures are OK!!!!! You should consider a rubbermaid tote for them or something: waterproof :)

    Oh and I did have fun in Spain... I think that it was just that it was right before I went home and I was ready to be home. So it was just that I didn't particularly enjoy that specific holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw so sorry that happened! What a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANOTHER new blog?!?! Where do you find the time? :) (And the drive... I think that's more my issue.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, water. I'm glad you were able to save a lot without breaking a nail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh no Miss Renee!! we is sorry you had a soggy basement. Mommy just gotted the last of the ruined boxes out of the basement from when the water heater broked a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hooray for no nail breakage! that's always the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, what a choir. Sorry...that stinks. At least you didn't lose the wedding pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a huge job for you! I'm sure it's a relief now that's it all over. Congrats on the new monitor! I think I need one, too.

    Kailani
    http://islandlife808.com

    ReplyDelete