Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Does this sound psychic?

Sometimes I just know things. Is that psychic, or maybe just lucky?

Here's what I mean:

Back in 1996, DH & I were buying our first house. We had looked all over town and this house was the only thing that we would consider living in. So the asking price was $116,000... we were in sticker shock because we had moved from TX where we could get a brand new house for only $80K, but anyway. They wanted $116K. So DH decides that he'll offer them $110. His thinking is that he'll offer them way low and they'll counter with a lower number and each side will work their way to a middle ground. Well the seller said that he was offended and rejected our offer.
So DH & I go out to the car and talk this out. I say, offer them $114K. (The state had a first time buyer's financing program that capped out at $114.) He thinks I'm crazy... I say, try it.
We bought our first home.

Flash forward to 2001... we are in the market for a new home again. We think that we are what every seller is looking for because we don't have a contengency of selling our previous house because we don't have one. So after months of looking for a house we finally decide that this one will do. It's not perfect, but it's the closest to what we were looking for. So DH, trying his method from before, offers the seller $8K less than current asking price. Mind you, the seller had just dropped his asking price $8K. So we put in our bid and the seller just rejects it. DH is crushed, why won't anyone counter with him? (Oh, I forgot to mention that we put in a similar bid on a different house, but someone else had also bid on it and offered asking price so even though they had a contengency, the seller chose them.) We knew that this seller HAD to sell the house because he had been transfered to TX and his family needed to move as school had started and they really wanted to be in TX.
So we waited a week. Then 9/11 happened. So I suggested that we offer $5K less than asking w/o the air conditioner allowance (the current asking price included a $2K a/c allowance because everyone who came threw the house had said they weren't interested because it didn't have a/c.) I suppose that the reason the seller bit was that they really needed to sell the house, we were the only ones interested and they knew with 9/11 they weren't going to get much better. So they accepted our offer.

That's twice that I knew the selling price on our house. Does that make me psychic? Or maybe I just know better than DH how to negotiate?

So maybe not so psychic?

Oh well.

5 comments:

  1. Well to me it sounds like you are psychic. What am I thinking right now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. deejay: that's the thing. I can't read minds. If I could it would have saved me a lot of money on counseling...apparently I try to read minds when I should just be talking to the person in question. LOL! Isn't life fun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are a good businesswoman, with good hunches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So... I'm in the market for a house, can you psychic-ize their final price? Boy would that be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think women are pretty excellent negotiators--especially in real estate.

    Or, you are psychic :)

    ReplyDelete