Monday, February 05, 2007

Flower Girl Update

Well I last reported that I had been searching for a flower girl dress for Darly to wear for her big day. I've found lots of cute dresses, but I also found a pattern that I thought would make an excelent dress.

Yesterday we went to MIL's house and showed her the pattern. She thought it looked very good, but said we had the wrong color. Luckily SIL called while we were there. She gave us the style number of the Bridesmaid dresses...



The color of this dress is Pistachio (this is where MIL was confused by the color.)

So I started snooping and found this flower girl dress...


I think that this is the dress that Neice wants for the flower girls. I know that DH is not willing to spend that much and I doubt that BIL (other flower girl's dad) will be able to spend this much...which is probably why Neice was being so evasive when I spoke to her.

So I found this pattern:



SIL is an excelent seamstress. She made the flower girl dress for Neice #2 to be in my wedding. It looke very much like a little girl copy of the Bridesmaid dresses that I had picked. She was so perfect.

So I suggested that perhaps if SIL has the time she might make the dresses. According to MIL, SIL was thrilled that I suggested this. I thought this would be a way to make Neice happy and make the "perfect dress" more affordable for BIL & us...and the girls would be sure to match. I also feel that the pattern I picked out will make a very close copy of the dress that Neice wants...however, I'm not married to it LOL. If Neice & SIL pick out another pattern that is closer to what Neice picked out, that's fine by me. I'm just thrilled that SIL seems so far to be excited about sewing the dresses. I also think that SIL could cut out cousin's dress first (as she is bigger than Darly) and then cut out Darly's dress from the same pattern.

Now a call to SIL is needed to confirm that she is indeed thrilled to do the sewing...and some negotiations for the money involved. A check on shoes and we're set. Oh and I have to tell them we most likely will not be staying there for 10 days.

20 comments:

  1. Awww, it's cute!

    I still have my one and only flower girl dress...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that color!!! I say stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pattern...I hope you plan to take pictures when the dress is finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great solution, good thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny. I actually have that pattern and made Girlie Girl the dress in the second row on the right. It was really easy and came out very nice. Good choice!

    An Island Life
    http://islandlife808.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute!

    love simplicity patterns! they are so easy to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that works out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pattern looks perfect for the dress you showed - great match up!

    And it looks like a very simple pattern to make up - even better! Always good when money can be saved! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so envious!!! The only wedding I got to participate in was my own. The good news is that I was never subjected to having to wear an ugly bridesmaid dress, the bad news is that I never got to wear a beautiful flower girl dress either. The dress that you picked looks absolutely adorable and I am sure that Darly will look amazing in it! She is one lucky young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice color! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simplicity is beautiful!
    I like the skirt!

    I will Exercise for Comments!
    Sunflower

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are all gorgeous!!

    I can't wait to see Darly's dress when it is finished!!
    LBC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh! That looks very pretty! Love the color and style!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They expect you to stay for ten days? Wow, that's a long time. I'm not sure I could stay anywhere that long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad your SIL can sew (and likes to), and that you found that pattern-- sounds like a perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ryn: Sometimes I think we start sewing what we need the most - nursing tops, costumes, etc - because we don't want to pay the full price for some of those things. I know lots of people think that sewing is more expensive than buying, and in some cases it is, but you can really save some money doing it yourself!

    I don't think the pattern would give you many problems if your sil won't/can't make them. Go for an invisible zipper if you can - they really look MUCH nicer (it just looks like a seam) and you can do them without the "special" zipper foot. Just uncurl and press the zip and go slowly.

    If you have any problems, let me know - I'd be glad to help if I can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darly will look like a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks like a great dress, Darly will look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is why i hate being asked to be in weddings. The bride should have to pay for dresses and such. bitter? me? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice pattern! keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete