Friday, May 18, 2007

ER

My friend Jen has recently spent some time at the ER for her DD's foot injury and it got me to thinkin (don't cha love love how reading other blogs inspires you? hee hee) about my ER experiences. So here ya go...

My last visit to the ER was when I slammed my finger in the car door. It was one of those where I was holding onto the edge of the car door and distracted so I didn't move my fingers and closed the door while still holding the edge of the door. Totally stupid! I was icing the finger and holding it up over my head, but nothing seemed to be helping and it was turning all sorts of technicolors...so it seemed that a trip to the ER was in order. We loaded up DD & DH drove me in.

The tech who started the process had a good laugh at me and threatened that I might have to get my finger drilled to release the pressure...but I had to wait for the doc on call to drive over from where ever he was to know for sure... that took about 1/2 an hour. OH! This was on a military base in Korea to clarify things for you. And it happened on a Sunday. Doc looked at it and determined that I didn't need to be drilled. He just gave me pain killers and told me to keep it elevated & iced. So glad we didn't have to pay for that!

Previous to that was when DH brought home the killer cold that DD & I both got. He got us all sick on 4th of July weekend and this was still on the Korean base so all the places to buy children's cold medicine were closed. We had already spend one sleepless night in the recliner trying to stay elevated so we could breathe and I needed some sleep. So we went in just to get cold medicine. The tech made me take DD's temperature. Poor kid.

And before that my trip was for a sprained ankle when I was about 13. I was teaching myself how to do a handspring in our backyard and landed wrong. I'm not entirely sure if my Dad was going to take me if I had protested hard enough. At any rate we went in and got it x-rayed after waiting for what seemed like 2 hours and the drive was forever as we lived so far away from town. I didn't even get any pain killers from that trip.

And that's it for me! I've been in the hospital twice, once to have DD and once to get my adenoids taken out. So how about you? How many trips to the ER?

3 comments:

  1. You'll have to stop by and explain the mud clod incident...

    Anya has been to the ER a few times, the worst was when she had a fever of 105+. That ended up being a UTI.

    I believe that recent episode was Maya's first trip...

    Sage has been in for ear infections.

    Tiernan went when he was dehydrated, and ended up being admitted that one time.

    Davin and I went recently to Urgent Care (does that count?) for strep tests and I got that IV last month. Other than that, Davin hasn't been to the ER since I've known him.

    I went 2x for migraines back when I was having so many problems with them. One time they did a CAT scan and gave me enough narcotics to kill a horse. The other time they gave me some nasty stuff that made me all panicky, but didn't really help a lot. I'm glad I haven't had to do any of that lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had to go to the ER, thankfully. However, I used to volunteer at the Sacramento ER in CA while I was in college. I did the 10pm-2am shift. It was interesting to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For myself, I've never been to the ER...knock on wood.

    For Hubby, however it's been twice. Once he had heart palpitations and, thank goodness, it turned out to be nothing. His second trip occurred after he ran into a bus pole during a 10K run and gave himself a wonk and a cut on the head. The band-aid the ER nurse put on the cut cost $25...I kid you not...that's the charge that was on the itemized bill!

    ReplyDelete