Monday, May 28, 2007

Take Me Out To The Ballgame!

Dh found out that he could get tickets to the Rockies Baseball game for today for a really cheap price. It took come convincing but we talked Darly into it (she didn't want to give up her day with Dad for a dumb old ballgame!). So Dh ordered the tickets.

Today we woke up to a GORGEOUS DAY! The weather couldn't have been more perfect for a ballgame.

But first we had to go check on the kitten (see below), so Darly & I did that quick this morning while DH packed up our snacks. When we got back we loaded up and drove over to the Light-Rail (our city's public transportation train) to take it to the game instead of driving and paying for parking. When we got to the station we first ran into our first snag... A HUGE line of folks waiting to buy their train tickets. Only two of the four ticket machines were working (I think the other two were down due to either lack of paper or lack of change.) DH & I both figured that by the time we got our tickets we would have just missed the train. We were right! But luckily they run the train every 15 minutes.

We caught the next train and had a plesant, but crowded trip to the end of it's line which was about 2 blocks from the baseball field. I had wrote down the directions on how to get from the train to the ball field, but I didn't need them. We just followed the crowd.

As we were heading to the field on one street corner there was a guy trying to buy tickets...right across the street was a scalper who was selling tickets at 1/2 price. Hummm... we were wondering why the buyer didn't cross the street.

Next we had to find the Will Call booth to pick up our tickets. DH asked the ticket taker who must not have heard him or didn't really care because he sent him to where you buy a ticket. So I decided to leave DH in line and go ask an employee that we had passed earlier. She told me that we needed to be on the other side of the field. Which was fine...we walked over there and found the line we needed to be in (thanks for nothin ticket taker guy!)

We missed the National Anthem but got to see the fly-over...and hear it! Darly wasn't too pleased with that. I couldn't believe all the people shouting for extra tickets. "Hello? We're in line to get our tickets...we don't have any extra yet! I wonder if those folks were scalpers or if they were cops? Another thing that bugged me were the folks crossing through all the lines. We had one guy who crossed through with his party behind him and then stopped, leaving his party still in front of us! I don't know what was up with that, but I got mad.

We had finally got about half way up the line when I noticed that Darly had already ran out of patience. Poor kid. but the line moved very quickly and we got our tickets and were just inside the stands when the Rockies scored their first homerun. We missed it, but got to hear all the excitement of it.

I needed to find a restroom so DH & Darly went to our seats and I headed there. When I got out, I noticed that each section could be accessed by two sets of stairs...one on either side. So I located our section and asked the man in a Coors Field uniform if I should use the stairs by him or the other side...he told me that my seat was right on that eisle! Woo Hoo! Easy access to get back out again. I quickly found my seat by finding DH & Darly. We broke into our snacks and enjoyed the game.

We had AWESOME seats! Sect 144. We were in the left field foul area, on the lower level and back far enough that we were in the shade the entire time. We're gonna keep track of our tickets so we can try to get close to that area if we go back.

The game was AWESOME! The other team (St Louis, I think...pshaw!) didn't score until the 8th inning (we think...I could go look it up, I suppose). But the Rockies were already so far ahead that St Louis had no chance of winning.

I went and bought us a ridiculiously expensive hot dog...but it was a foot long that I shared with DH. Darly didn't want any...she just had the snacks that we brought, Cracker Jack, Twislers, Pringles...ya know the healthy stuff. We also brought our own water & lemonade.

They played lots of cool music and when the Rockies scored their second Homerun (which brought in two runs) they played "We Like To Party!" And they have fountains that they shoot off for that. It was very cool. My only complaint was that they never played enough of any of the songs...I would just get into a song and they would quit. *sigh*

I think the best part was that Darly said that she enjoyed the game and had a good time! I spent quite a bit of time explaining things to her, but she appreciated it all because she doesn't really know that much about the game. She wants to go back! Yay. This was my first ever Professional Baseball game too and I really had a good time. I liked it better than watching Professional Football.

9 comments:

  1. Next time you go, you might want to teach Darly how to 'keep score'. If you don't want to buy a ridiculously high priced program, go to a sporting goods store and buy a book to keep score in. Having my dad teach me how to keep score, solidified my love of baseball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was young, my friend's dad was a ticket taker (a nice one) at Shea Stadium in NY. My friend and I would take the bus and subway to the stadium as often as we could to see the Mets play. Now I find baseball boring and havent been to a game in more than 25 years. Maybe it's time to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, time out.

    Color me confused.

    You could take food and drinks into the game?????????????????

    WOW.

    Consider yourself very lucky!

    I too, spent the day at a baseball game yesterday :) And when my life calms down enough, you can bet I'll write about it.

    Glad ya'll had fun. I can't believe it was your first game EVER, but better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun time! :D I've never been to a baseball game I think... or it was so long ago I don't remember!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baseball is much more entertaining to me in person. But yeah, you think movie theater concessions are expensive until you attend a major league baseball game :)

    I don't think they let you carry in food and drinks in Atlanta, either.

    Glad you and Darly had a good time... at the old... ball... game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: At our Memorial Day cookout yesterday, two of the little kids had just bought baby bunnies, and I got to hold and pet them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great that she tried something new and really enjoyed it! I'm not much of a sports fan but I really enjoy seeing games in person. I like all the excitement and eating stadium food! LOL!

    Kailani
    An Island Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ball games we went to in San Diego were more like parties in the stands, with people looking at the game only when they heard lots of cheers. More fun with the people around than those out on the field just standing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing quite like afternoon baseball, and it looks like you had a perfect day.

    You'd be surprised how many times the buyers and sellers are near each other, seemingly ignoring each other. I don't understand.

    You can take food and drinks into Phillies games, too - as long as the container fits under the seat. Regular hot dogs here are $3.50, as is the bottled water, so bringing stuff is recommended.

    Our ballpark is something of a party-meetup place, where the game is sometimes secondary. It's fun sometimes to just wander around.

    ReplyDelete