Sunday, May 06, 2007

It's too much for me to handle!

I'm talking about my new microwave of course.

Did I mention that this microwave is 2 cubic feet? My old microwave was 1.4 cu...and I never had a problem with space...well except for that one dish. Hey, maybe I can get my 9X13 dish in there? I'll have to check that out.

This new microwave came with a turn table and a shelf. I was in awe and star struck when I bought it. Then I got it home and installed it and wondered "Just what in the world am I EVER going to cook that I need to use the rack for?" You see when cooking in the microwave when you cook multiple items they should all be about the same size and same cooking speed. If you cook something very wet with something dry...your wet item will get all the heat while your dry item will just look at you funny. So I ask again "When will I ever use the rack?" BEATS ME!

It came with directions on how to cook a roast or a chicken in there...but who in their right mind cooks meat in the microwave? You can't make it brown and everyone knows a microwave makes meats cook uneven.

I might use the rack for thanksgiving...I cook a lot of veggies then so maybe I can use the rack to get them all done at the same time...well the brocolli & corn. The greenbean casserole goes in the oven and it's mostly done already as you use canned greenbeans for it. I've tried using frozen for this and it just never works...I could pre-cook the greenbeans I suppose...but the canned are right there and easy. Maybe if I grow my own greenbeans again, I could use them.

I could possibly use the microwave to cook pumpkin...that would be a good use of it. If my garden produces a lot of pumpkin this year. Which by the way I still have a freezer full of pumpkin from last year. Didn't need so much pumpkin this year. hummm I should make some pumpkin dessert...it's good stuff.

There's one thing I don't like about my new microwave...and it's probably because my old microwave spoiled me...the light isn't as bright. The light under the microwave that shines down on my stove. I used to be able to turn it on and prepare the entire meal w/o using my kitchen lights...now it's like flipping on a nightlight. And to top it off, it comes with a nightlight feature that is even dimmer...what a waste.

11 comments:

  1. Just goes to show you that newer and fancier, isn't always better. Is your microwave a convection oven as well? I've never heard of a rack in a microwave, but then again, I apparently lead a sheltered life (lol). My dryer came with a rack and in the 8 years that I've owned the clothes dryer, I've never used the rack even once.

    As far as the pumpkins...if you ask me, one can never have too many pumpkin pies! (of course, I don't think you'd want to bake them in a microwave either) Oh pooh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as your question to me...did you or your DH ask your SIL & BIL why they felt it necessary to have your MIL tested, without confering with either of you? Are they generally 'behind the back' type of people?

    Do you think that SIL and BIL don't trust you or your DH? Do they think that you two will take advantage of your MIL?

    I find it really odd that they would go to all the trouble of having your MIL see a doctor without informing you or your DH... unless SIL and BIL really appreciate all that you and DH do for your MIL, and they didn't want to burden either of you with one more thing to do.

    The only way to know for sure, is for your DH to directly ask each of his siblings. Are you sure that your MIL has given you the whole story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We took the rack out and put it in the garage. We've had this microwave for 3 years and have never ever used the rack.

    Mom got a rack with her microwave. She did the same thing. It's hanging on the wall in the garage.

    Maybe those racks are garage decorations...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm beginning to think my very old microwave with really low wattage is still a keeper after reading your post. I keep saying I want a newer one with more bells and whistles but I hardly ever use the darn thing (Hubby is the cook in our family) so why should I care??? And I didn't even know microwaves came with racks. I guess the adage "newer isn't always better" is true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Microwaves are super fancy! I can't imagine what you would do with the rack, but you seem to have some fun ideas!

    Can you replace the bulbs under the microwave to make em brighter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a huge microwave when we first got married, I was glad to get rid of it. It worked OK, but took up to much space...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not an attorney, but if your MIL does not want to return to her hometown at the point in time when she can no longer care for herself, what does she want to do? Seems to me, that she should maybe meet with an attorney and specify what she wants her care to be should be become incapacited, and where she wants to live (finances notwithstanding). She also needs to make note of who she wants to make the decisions regarding her care... otherwise, your SIL's wishes will prevail.(From what you say, I don't think that your DH is going to stand up and confront your SIL). Of course, if MIL stays in the area near you and DH, then that will place the burden of her care on the two of you. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there a way to change the lightbulb to something brighter? I would never think to actually cook something in the micro. For me, it's usually just to warm things up.

    Kailani
    An Island Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL. I've never seen someone get so excited over a microwave. :) But then, I get that excited over my new printer, so I can empathize.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Renee, you are too funny! I never could figure out what more to do with a microwave besides heat leftovers and water for tea(!)

    Now, about that pumpkin. Try pumpkin pancakes or one of these yummy pumpkin pie cake recipes from Cooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My microwave is 19 yo. I want to keep it for life!!!

    ReplyDelete