Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Am I too much of a skeptic?

well first off I wanted to address a question I got tonight...I figured the rest of you might be wondering... YES! I really haven't had ANY Pepsi since Feb 4th! I didn't keep track of my last sprite but it's been a long time too...the nearest thing that I've had since was a few sips of Darly's Wild Cherry Icy a few weeks ago...I'm not sure if it was carbonated or not. Am I missing it...no, not really. although it does make it a bit difficult to order at some fast food places, I've got it mostly figured out.

now on to the topic at hand...

I think that I told you how I was waiting to get Darly's Gymnastics class evaluation...and waiting and waiting. Well last Thursday, Darly's gymnastics coach wasn't there (AGAIN!) so I asked the office manager about her evaluation. The office manager didn't realize that we hadn't received our evaluations yet. So she asked the owner who asked her to look in the office for them...she found them and we got our copies that evening.

How did Darly do? Well mostly good, she has improved in 12 skills, but she had been marked down in 5 skills. Only one skill that was marked down do we have a problem with, the other 4 Darly agrees that she didn't do very well on them this time. So I didn't bother having a talk with the coach.

But get this...

Today, Darly comes out of class and hands me a letter. As I was waiting for Darly to get her clothes I see that ALL the other girls in her class got a letter too. Weird!

Here's what the letter says...

4/8/08

Congratulations!

Your gymnast is ready to move to the Pre-Team/Intermediate class. This class meets on... (omitted cuz that's not the important part). The tuition for this class is (more than you're paying now).

If you would like to have your gymnast take advantage of this advancement opportunity, please let us know. She can start this new class as soon as Thursday, March 10th, based on your family schedule.

Again, Congratulations! We're excited to see our students advance.


Okay, well FIRST off they really need to Proof Read their letters before sending them out...unless DH was right and she has to wait another year to move up. LOL!

and Second: Well I should give you all the background on this class... when we first were moved up into this class the Coach had quit to get married and move away. So for the first 16 weeks we had 3 rotating coaches, one of whom Darly HATED. Then they finally got us a coach. This coach was previously the coach for the lower level class and for a long time seemed to be working with the girls on skills that were for the lower level. Finally she caught up, but she really didn't seem to know the girls skill levels. She kept spotting Darly on skills that Darly already knew. So that's where I felt some of Darly's evaluation scores went down.

and Third: ALL the girls in the class got this letter...at the same time. Did they all suddenly (since last Thursday) gain the skills needed to move up? I know for a fact that one of the girls in this class requested an Team evaluation...where she went in and was reviewed by a Team coach to see if she was ready for advancement...she was not moved up.

So what I really think is going on here is that they really cannot find a coach to teach Darly's class and they want to just move her into another class.

When Darly found out what the letter said she told me that she did not want to move up. She was actually wanting to quit gymnastics for her new love of Ice Skating. I told her that was fine...but we need to finish up the gymnastics lessons I've already paid for. For some odd reason she had it in her head that she had to wait until we finish gymnastics to begin ice skating. I don't know where she got that idea. For a while we'll be doing both...it's not a big deal.

So now I get to go talk to the coach/office and tell them that we would like Darly to remain in her current class. If they can not accomodate that, we would like a refund of her "non-refundable" tuition...because they cannot force us to move up. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I think you read between the lines quite well. They want more cash because they don't have a coach... hmm.. seems a bit much.

    Ice skating - welcome to the poor house. I will say no more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree... it sounds like moving the kids up is for the school's convenience, not necessarily what's best for the kids!

    Have fun on the ice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it sounds like they need the funding...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This definitely sounds like it's for their benefit... not the kids.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete